I'm leaving

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saikrett

Reaction score
Hi all, you won't hear from me for a while as i'm off to New Zealand on tuesday. Just wondering if anybody knew what the reptilw scene is like over there. I have read about there Tuatara's although i think they are a bit rare. Hopefully i can return with some pics.

I hope that you wil like it there saikrett. Have a nice trip.

Not many reps, but a beutiful place to visit.
Enjoy Saikrett!
Bon Voyage - and best of luck finding the tuataras!

PC. Do a glacier heli-hike at Fox or Franz Josef - definately the highlight of my last trip in NZ!

That is the only reptile that is native to NZ. And you're right they're very rare. They are quite fasinating though. If they are not the oldest, they are one of the oldest living reptiles. Every now and then a snake from Australia will show up in some shipping by accident, but other wise it is illegal to keep and import any reptiles there. That's the one of the reasons my wife and I won't move there as she is a Kiwi. I guess once a salty made it's way over from Australia to NZ and scared the Sh!t out of everyone. That would have been funny to see.

They have an awesome green tree gecko to make up for not having green tree pythons. Have fun mate.

I know nothing about NZ, but I have heard that they have no naturally occurring snakes and that it is illegal to import reptiles.

They have an awesome green tree gecko to make up for not having green tree pythons. Have fun mate.

Oh ya I forgot all about their one gecko species. Lots of really cool birds and Lord Of The Rings stuff coming out your a$$.

thanks everyone
nicole, i plan to do the fox glacier, Franz Joseph glacier and Greymouth. i have also planned an 8x8 wheeled vehicle coastan tour. As well as white water rafting and a hangi feast.

saikrett said:
thanks everyone
nicole, i plan to do the fox glacier, Franz Joseph glacier and Greymouth. i have also planned an 8x8 wheeled vehicle coastan tour. As well as white water rafting and a hangi feast.

Yeah, that's all well and good but what about taking a few Kiwis back to Un Zud to really make the trip worthwhile??

kevyn said:
That is the only reptile that is native to NZ.
Since I doubt I'll ever get another chance to spot you wrong Kev, I'll take this oppurtunity to let you know they actually have Gecko's and Skinks in New Zealand, though no snakes.

Sounds fantastic! I'm completely envious! Have a great time. :)

Bon voyage! :D.................[sings].."leavin, on a jet plane, dont know when i'll be back again...." :lol:

I think the Tuatara's range is restricted to a few offshore islands. Usual NZ story, the hoards of introduced animals have wiped out most of the mainland population.
Still. the Kiwis weren't stupid enough to introduce the cane toad.

here sheepy sheepy sheepy baaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! donesnt that feel good sheepy

Since I doubt I'll ever get another chance to spot you wrong Kev, I'll take this oppurtunity to let you know they actually have Gecko's and Skinks in New Zealand, though no snakes.

got me on that one parko. won't let it happen again. :D

have fun in new zealand, saikrett, don't forget your gumboots and your velcro gloves. i'll hook you up with my wife's dad, he'll take you to all the hot sheep spots. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back