im new introducing my animals

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!! I was just watching a YouTube video today on extinct animals of the 20th century and one of them was the hopping mouse! Pfft proved them wrong! What a cute little fella!

What's the hopping mouse like? Is he awesome? How big is he? What does he eat?
SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Hi and welcome :) I've always been curious about hopping mice too. You need a licence to keep them in NSW. I was reading up on them and apparently they can go for ages without water and their kidneys are so efficient their urine is solid!! Maybe one day... Got enough mouths to feed at the moment :)

Is it a Mitchell's hoping mouse?
There's more than one species which is were the extinct thing comes in,
Plains rats are adorable too and not doing great number wise.
The best thing about Native mice and rats is they don't smell like regular rodents.

Very cute lil thing

Wow!! I was just watching a YouTube video today on extinct animals of the 20th century and one of them was the hopping mouse! Pfft proved them wrong! What a cute little fella!

There used to be ten species of Australian hopping mouse - five of them are extinct. This one looks like it could be a spinifex hopping mouse or northern hopping mouse, maybe? Actually scrap that, it's too hard to tell without better quality pictures. It's very cute, though!

The spinifex hopping mouse is the world's best at concentrating its urine - it can generate a urine as concentrated as 10000 mosm/L. For comparison, we can get to 1200 mosm/L. And yeah, for that reason it can fulfill much of its water requirements from metabolic water alone. SO. DAMN. COOL. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back