Impotent rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmy

Reaction score
Hey i have a colony of rats that i've had going for a couple of years now and I've never had any problems breeding them. But for some reason this year I've only managed to breed five litters. They just don't seem interested. The males seem keen at first but after they have a few sniffs of the females it doesn't go any further. They have been kept inside for the last month under at constant 22 degree temperature.

Does anyone have any ideas on why they may not be breeding or any suggestions on what I can do??

After 5-8 litters, the frequency of litters and litter sizes will decrease. You should be cycling your breeders every 6-9 months to maintain a decent output.

Cheers

yepo mine stay for a max of 12 months and thats it

get some fresh blood in ya colony and start to weed out the old mums

Males rats should be replaced with young fellas after 6 months old
The girls should be replaced around 12 months of age
That is what Tim Nias told me anyway :) this is for optimum production.
Guess that is quite believable as a rats life span is usually 2 yrs and not much more
Cheers
Sandee :)

I thought male rats could breed until they are well over one year old, even up to 2 years of age?

They will breed at older ages, as will humans, but the quality, quantity and consistency decrease dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back