Incubation no substrate method

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

byjungle

Reaction score
Anyone here used the no substrate method, whereby the eggs stay on top of some plastic, the vermiculite doesnt need to be there, any amount of water can be placed below the plastic section giving 100% humidity and apparently no mould.

JCF4_eggs2%20005.jpg

photo by Jeff Favelle www.jefffavelle.com

Jeff,
I have heard of that technique, some people have used it successfully for incubating GTP egg's, they need the high humidity.

I personally favour the use of vermiculite with 'Perlite' on top, perlite disipates water, and so water will run down the egg to to 'Perlite' and roll off back into the vermiculite, it is also very resistant to mould and can be found in most good garden centres, usually near to the Vermiculite.
Note it might be called something different in Australia than in the UK.

Neil
NCHERPS

BJ,
I've used this method in the past (exactly the same as the pic).
If you don't use vermiculite you have to be very careful not to splash the water around if you check the eggs or move the container.
I found no real difference between this method and just placeing eggs straight on the vermiculite, i've never had a problem with mould.

it is called perlite and i know of people who think that this is actually better than vermiculite. i think it is because it holds water therefore holds humidity.

cheers
charles

Vermiculite holds water better than perlite. Perlite is normally better for lizard eggs.

no substrate

hi mark.
we have tryed that style and one where you elevate a biscuit tray above a inch of water only with the eggs sitting on the tray.

may have been just coinsidence but we had a higher rate of failed eggs that year with nearly fully developed babys dieing in the eggs. Needless to say we went straight back to the vermiculite again. some people use this style and have been happy with there results.
cheers paul.

Thanks Guys, i am hoping for a clutch or 2 this season, and because i have no experience was a bit worried about the mixing of the vermiculite. Some say 1:1 verm to water some say 1:0.75. Probably just a bit paranoid.

cheers
mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back