Infra red temp gun source?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people get mist and vapor confused to. Like in this thread.
Steam from temperatures under 100 are just from water molecules at excited states near the surface of system.

A lot of people get mist and vapor confused to. Like in this thread.
Steam from temperatures under 100 are just from water molecules at excited states near the surface of system.

Do you know how many times I've asked about this and never got an answer

haha grade 12 chem dude :p
It's about thermodynamics and kinetic energy.
In any body of water you'll have a range of different water molecules are different energy states moving at different speeds. So when heat or energy is applied they all move up to different energy states at different rates and you'll get some that just decide to bugger off ad evaporate.

It's something like that any way.

The word thermodynamics makes me sad in the pants.
I even asked high school science teachers. Maybe mine just sucked

Haha probably I owned at chem during school. Hopefully I do well in uni. I don't like electrical.

I reckon a pair of infra-red binoculars or a camera would herping nearly cheating and great if something got out of your herp room.

Give me an electrical circuit any day over that stuff.
Forgive me for being a bit behind in this but it was my understanding that a sufficiently mixed slurry would only rise above 0 once all of the ice had melted

Best way to tell the difference between steam and vapour.... Put your hand in it!!!

Steam burns way worse than water, because in order to turn back to liquid state (condense) it requires an output of energy - that output goes straight into burning you just a little bit more :)

Of course evaporated water doesn't burn at all - if it condenses, it does so like on the mirror of your bathroom after a shower on a cold night... I did have other examples of water condensing - but I was worried saximus would become happy in his pants.

So stream from the washing up water is in fact water vapour - just like Jannico said - and has never reached 100'C thankfully - because if it did - my rubber gloves wouldn't be enough!

So hornet - what are you using your IR thermometer for? You still haven't answered (or I missed it).

Hornet can't get on the net :p
I was talking to him the other day he is working on getting a new computer.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but go to TEMPGUN.COM $30 will get you an accurate temp gun, $35 will get you one a little upgraded with features such as a laser sight and a tighter measurement field. These temp guns are used in Zoos and parks alike and well worth the money. Once you buy one of these, you wont look any further. Had the PE1 For just over two years, bought the PE2 a few months ago and its my new best friend:)

Just ordered a PE2 and it will be here in 5 days. From Pro-Exotics, Colorado, USA

(Sigh) Vapour, gas, just different names for the same thing. Do I really need to go through this? Water doesn't heat evenly, if you start to boil water in a large pot on the stove, you will start to see bubbles of steam forming on the edges of the pot. At this point you can probably still put your finger in the water in the cooler centre. The water in the centre isn't at 100 c, probably around 60-70c but at the edges it is at 100c and changing state into steam. In your water heater, the water is standing in a pressure vessel at something like 500kpa under pressure. The water in contact with the heating element will be heated above 100c causing steam bubbles, which under pressure are kept pretty much in solution. The vast majority of the water is still only at around 70c. When you turn on your tap, the pressure is reduced and the water, containing the bubbles in solution flows down the pipe. Because the pressure is reduced, the steam starts to come out of solution and will react like normal steam and will rise to the top and your 70c water will have steam coming off it. Simply fill a glass with hot water and you can see the bubbles.
With the water on the road, it is a similar thing, tiny parts of the water, usually at its thinnest point, will absorb enough energy from the sun and the warm road to get to 100c. We are talking at a molecular level, individual molecules will get to 100 but the vast majority will still be at a much lower temp. It doesn't only happen on the road but everywhere, off leaves, grass, dirt and as the steam rises it becomes what we know as humidity or the amount of water vapour in the air. It continues to rise and eventually forms clouds as the temp and pressure reduces and starts to go back into a liquid form, water drops. When the drops are big enough and heavy enough they start to drop as rain.
This is the same as sweat on your body. Even though your body is not at 100c, sweat still evaporates(boils) off your body, as each molecule absorbs heat energy from your body.

I have tried to keep this as simple as possible without talking about the absolute temp scale, measured in Kelvin, absolute zero or explaining that there is no such thing as cold, cool etc, only lack of heat energy, as this will only confuse further.
I am a refrigeration and air conditioning technician with over 29 yrs of dealing with pressures, temperatures, thermodynamics etc and could probably teach at a university level.

Hope this is helpful.:)

Sorry if I am hijacking this away from IR Guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back