injured snake - help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im hoping someone with real experience will reply too this. (yes, i know reading a book counts as experience on aps, but please, go away)

I was given a brown snake on thursday night by my neighbour. Its head has been run over, but seems too be going fine.

I was housing it tonight and it acted like a typical brown snake, thrashing at me with its mouth open. Its started bleeding like hell from the mouth again (it was doing this when i was given it). So, I am a little worried about its wellbeing.

I have it on a nice heat mat, with a nice cosey hidebox. Is there anything else that I can do too help it get through the long weekend, so that I can take it too a vet on tuesday?

Cheers

And ohhhhhhhh,

Had a brief chat with Rick Shine about it yesterday, and without seeing the animal he guess its now missing its tongue, at the least. I didnt get a chance too ask him about possible treatment for the animal.

Does anyone else have any idea what it is, exactly?

Can't offer you anymore Brodie, you are doing well already. Keep the heat up and the movement around him down. Keep well away so he rests.

Head injuries, if not too bad, heal, but I sure hope he isn't missing his tongue. Don't write him off yet though, wait and see what happens when the pain dissipates a little and the vet can get a good look in there. He may be simply 'nursing' it out of harms way.

If its got no tongue then it will have to be force/assist fed for the rest of its life.

Brodie, if the thing has been run over (by a car?) the most obvious signs of serious head trauma will be cloudy eyes and sometimes unusual behaviour indicating neuro probs. Not a lot you or a vet can do but I would suggest a bit of R&R and see if you can spot the tongue flicking.
The bleeding is probably the biggest worry if it continues, 5ml is little to us but life threatening to a small animal. Less heat and kept in a dark spot should slow that up if needed.

Their powers of recovery are amazing, but as everyone else said, if he's lost his tongue it's pretty well curtains isn't it?

I agree with the 'leave it to rest' idea, and I hope he recovers for you Brodie.

Consider the pentabarb if it dosent recover within a week or two Brodie, no point in prolonging suffering Mate! good luck to the snake and you! :wink:

I asked a similar question a long time ago on ausherps, didn't get a good answer though, got told to take it to the vet.
IMO though (and what i did in my case for a full recovery) a reptile with a head injury should not be put on heat.
They may not be able to thermoregulate properly and it will speed up their body function, speeding up any damage that is occuring.
Not saying they should be put in the fridge, but only at room temps (I know darwin room temps are probably 33C anyway, they are here.)
The bleeding may be a split palate from being crushed and if so... should heal ok but the snake may never be able to eat a large meal again.
Good luck with it brodie... not many people are willing to go all out for a brown snake.

Tongue regeneration has occured in several species of snake. Hopefully brown snakes are one of them. Proves how important the tongue is to a snake.

if he's lost his tongue it's pretty well curtains isn't it?

Not always i know a python that is living a normal life but just has to be force/assist fed once a week but other wise it is just like a normal snake (but with no tongue).

Browns hunt by sight as well as bvy scent, so in captivity I doubt the snake will have any problems if it survives.

I highly doubt if this snake will be suitable for release, but we shall see. I have it on a collection permit atm, so I can keep it until at least december, and then perhaps seek special permission from parks.

Thanks for the replies, ive put it in an ac room at about 25 degrees.

Cheers,

collect me an oenpelli python brodes, i'll pick it up as soon as they break through onto the species list...

lol,
if i ever find one, it will be MINE.

:p

Have had similar. There isnt much you can do in the interim till you see a vet.
Best place is a bag in a warm place. No people to aggrevate it. Bleeding from the mouth doesnt sound to promising. Its not necessarily going to be tongue flicking if it has injuries especially if there is swelling in the cranial area. If the tongue is missing and it survives then it may find it hard to hunt as while they have great eyesight the follow scent trails. If it has internal injuries further down this can cause problems. It may appear to recover then its lower digestive tract fails from being weakened or peritonitus.
As others have said, not much you can do except keep it stress free until you can get it some medical attention.

ps. if it survives and doesnt have a tongue it can still lead a good life in captivity. They calm down well when kept with another brown and will eat from stimuli other than taste/smell.

Good luck Brodes

If you don't keep as Peter has described Brodes, cover up the enclosure so it cannot see out, it will allow it to feel more secure. I did a RBB the other day exactly the same, had been run over and was bleeding from the mouth, it died the next day before I could get it to the vets, hopefully the injuries yours has will not be as bad.

Yeah hugs, Ive already covered the enclosure with towels.

Its going ok so far, still surving, since thursday. Acts like a normal brown, except it doesnt tongue flick.

If he makes it, I think Ill call him jesus!

Oh, he stopped bleeding last night too.. so fingers crossed.

Thanks again chums

saddle up the armchairs!
Don't listen to this Brodie. Everyone knows that you need a jason recliner for venemous snakes.

Good luck with him though, snakes can take a long time to heal but hopefully he will come good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back