Injured wild python help!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karly

Reaction score
Help please! I just found this python on the road he has been run over. Part of his insides are on the outside. He is still very much alive though and is still moving around quite well.
I have rinsed the wound with some antiseptic solution, put a damp rag around it and wrapped it with a bandage.
Is there anything else I can do?
Help would be greatly appreciated, I really don't want this little guy to die!
P1010643.jpg

P1010642.jpg

P1010641.jpg

That guys only hope is a vet and even then he'll be lucky to come through I reckon, maybe if nothings been perforated

Prob should have added I'll take him to a carer 1st thing tomorrow, just hoping there is something I can do until then.

Looks like fecal matter in the pics, meaning the stomach or intestine has been ruptured. Sadly I wouldn't hold out much hope for the little fella. :(

That's what I thought Wally it looked like his stomach. Thanks snakey I'll keep it moist hopefully he'll last til I can get him to an expert.

I don't like this little guys odds :/ also i don't know if a damp bandage is such a good idea.. Because moisture can promote bacteria growth.. i know every time i have ever got stitches i wasn't allowed to go near water...

What antiseptic did you use?.. i would use Betadine..

If you need the north Queensland Wildlife care inc number its: 0414717374.. i don't know if that has changed but that's what it was when my mum did wildlife caring in Townsville a year ago

Also this is a little off topic but where did you get that picture of that lizard in your Dp?

Last edited:
Is that all feacal matter or is there road dirt on there?
Just out of interest regarding the betadine, I use that on my wounds and it stings like hell.
Would it have the same effect on a snake with open wounds like that?

my reasoning behind the damp bandage is when i did my 1st aid course they told us if you come across a person with insides hanging out to keep them moist to stop them drying out.... The same might not apply to reptiles but it made sense to me....
I used the antiseptic solution in my 1st aid kit.
So I have him in a spare fish tank at the moment should I put the heat lamp on to keep him warm or leave him to cool?

Darlyn I think it's all faeces or intestines or something, it was soft and gooey, we rinsed it really well to remove the dirt

Last edited:
I'm not sure on temps can't help but I hope the little fella pulls thru.
They can fix human perforated bowels maybe snakes too. Good luck

Yep thats my reasoning too karly don't let it dry out or the tissue will die off

Thanks Geck yep the number is still the same, i'll ring them 1st thing tomorrow. The frustrating thing is that I am booked in to do my wildlife carers course next weekend.... If only it was a week earlier then I might have a better idea of what to do!
And sorry I don't know what DP stands for, but the photo with the iguana in my avatar was taken at Bali Zoo, the one of the sand monitor on my profile page is one I took of my girl Kowari a few years ago :)

That is a dead snake.
If it makes it through the night, and to a vet hospital where it gets surgery straight away then maybe. Leaving it overnight is too long in my opinion.

What carers course are you doing?

I'm with Cement. I think if you have to wait till tomorrow you will wake up to a dead snake. I'd personally put it out of its misery now but that's me, I'm generally not the optimistic type

Geck that's crazy... Good old Bali Zoo hey that was an experience wasn't it....
Cement... Can you break it to me gently next time? :-( lol
The course is with NQ Wildlife care, it's more of an information/introductory/basics course to start with, but after that you can decide if you want to register as a carer.

In a not so gentle way, that snake needs to be euthanised. By not euthanising it now, you are just prolonging a painful and stress filled death...take solace in the fact that you are ending its suffering.

A hammer blow to the skull will be the quickest method. This is not an easy thing to do, and I understand your emotions behind your intentions. Never a nice thing to be in this situation.

My mum, sister and Aunt all did the wildlife course in townsville... I think the woman who runs it name is Monique or something like that lol

They had fun they got to play with snakes dingos baby fruit bats and other things :)

Me in bali like 5 years ago?

i would just leave the snake (Even tho he probably wont make it thru the night) unless you happen to have a C02 chamber (For mice) There's no nice way to kill it...

Attachments

• retilllllian.jpg
    retilllllian.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back