Interesting SA meeting last night!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mertle

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Had a great meeting last night at the SA herp group.

Mathew did a talk on keeping and breeding Monitor lizards, with a couple in for show and tell too ;-) It was a great slide show with some good ideas and lovely pics.

A few people brought in other snakes and lizards and Blindsnake had a little Sugar Glider which we fell in love with, it was soooo cute!

There were about 35 people there so it looks like winter is over and they are coming out of hybernation.

So all in all it was a good night, and nice to meet a few more members from here that came along as well :)

Next meeting it looks like Mathew is called upon again to do a talk on Pythons, mmm wonder what he will come up with?????

yeah was a great night, really enjoyed matts talk! and his male lacey... he was awsome!

Sensational! Sugar gliders are amazing :)
Thanks for keeping us informed Kerri & TX-III, I'll get along there eventually too :)

cheers
Cat

yes cat they are very amazing eventually id like one :lol:

just wondering did ya go back onto geckos and lizards or not this time?

Not this time, only had time for matts talk, I can't wait for the puthon talk next meeting tho, if it's as good as his Monitor one!

Who needs Geckos? I will be breeding Geckos. Yes, a great meeting for my first time.

-Shawn

ONE DAY I"ll get there.......not enough hours in the day at the moment!!

Sounds interesting

Im new to the site and was wondering if somebody could please tell me more about the meetings, and how to get involved ,
how often are meetings held ????
Cheers Dant :D

Hey Dant
the meetings are held every 2nd tuesday of the month at about 7:30 at the museum in the city off kintore ave.
it goes for about 2-3 hours and different topics are covered each time and it seems lots of people like to take their critters to show off. its free for visitors or you can become a member. i went for the first time on tuesday and it was definitely worth it.

I will get there one meeting, when I get time off!

SA Herp meetings are every second tuesday of the month.
7:30 to aprox 9:30 / 10:00pm

Will see you there one day,

Jason

Thanks for replys will have to come along hopefully in near future when i also get time off from work
Cheers Dant

Hopefully I'll get to go to one, one day, because I want to be nosey at other peoples critters!

:D

Well the next meeting should see lots of new people if everyone comes!! hehehe

I was one of the ones waiting out the front for new people and I wear glasses.

So I look forward to meeting some more new people and seing some that were at the last meeting :)

There was a cute rescue bluetonge there with only one eye, poor thing was attacked when little, but it was a lovely lizard :)

And a 5 year old Stimi, mmmm i have ordered one when the babies start popping up!

And a few little MD's with some for sale at special members prices, so maybe it will pay to join up hehehehe

mertle i came in late and didnt see who you where.
i was sitting with boxing pelican and gobo was beside him.
i was holding a small carpet python throughout matts talk.

Some people do.. Risk depends on weather you let everyone touch your animals, its not like theyre all thrown into a pit together. As far as I am aware, in the many years of our group's existance, we have never had issues with the spread of disease at meetings.. Having said that, some people who have serious collections or release programs decide that it is not worth the risk. Alot of the people who bring their animals in are new owners, who want to show off their babies. They may not have collections to protect.
Other more experienced keepers share their animals with the newbies and kids who may never otherwise get to see an adult lacey or Dugite up close. Mabee we should all lock up our animals so no one ever learns anything. Familiarity breeds respect IMO
When I bring in an animal for a talk, I stand to the side of the group or out the front, take the animal out of its container, hold it on me while I do the talk, and put him back in. Not sure how that could be risky. No one touches the animal or container but me. The only reason I'll stop sharing my animals with people who really want to learn, is if there is an epidemic of something real nasty in SA. I'v only heard of a couple cases of OPMV in SA in the last few years, and i'm not crying "the sky is falling" just yet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back