introducing ackies sooner or later?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimace

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi guys.

i own a 5 month old ackie at the moment with plans to breed it later but i have a question regarding introducing another ackie of different sex. (i think mine might be a male from what ive read in books and from reading threads on the forum).

would there be less risk introducing another ackie now while mine is still young compared to introducing another one when its an adult? i understand that supervised introductions will still be required regardless of age. And if so would it be better to both place them in a new enclosure that is unfamiliar to each at introduction time? (would become permanent enclosure for the pair)

I'm open to any opinions and would love to hear from people who have experience in either case - introducing as adults or juveniles.

Hey, ackies can be aggressive a lot of the time. I have had a lot of issues dealing with aggressive ackies and its a pain! You need to be careful, any signs of aggression should be taken very seriously, they can kill each other in a matter of minutes and they always seem to know to go for the throat. I would highly suggest introducing them as babies, this will help them get along. They should be fine if introduced as hatchlings. I would encourage people that want to put together adult ackies that its a bad idea!! Especially if the ackie has been housed by itself for a long period of time.
introduce the new lizard to the tank first , let it roam around and sus things out. Then after its relaxed and chilled, put the other hatchy in and monitor them.
If you post a picture of the head of your lizard, Myself and others, can give you a suggestion on which sex it is. I have two hatchies and contrary to popular belief, I found it quite easy to determine the sex of the ackies by just looking at their facial features.

I found with one of my pairs that are adults when I introduced them in the larger females enclosure she would try dominate him, so I separated them I then tried some time after that to introduce them again but in the males enclosure there hasn't been any fights or signs of aggression from her, can't say that would work for all ackies but seems to have worked with this pair

I would encourage people that want to put together adult ackies that its a bad idea!! Especially if the ackie has been housed by itself for a long period of time.
+1

Same for Storr's.

Introduce them 'cold' and drop the temps for a while.

thanks for the replies guys. ill put a photo up of mine when it comes out today

Good advice has already been given. The only thing I do differently is to swap enclosures before introducing the more dominant ackie into the others enclosure.

Hey the pictures don't seem to working, I don't know why they wouldn't be working though. Seems to be a common thing on this forum, that pictures aren't viewable sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back