Introducing Central Beardies.*Help*

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angelrose

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, as some of you may know from other posts i only yesterday aquired a nice big boy to stud my girl Rexie, his name is Spike and is the darker of the 2 in the pics to come.

BIG HUGE ENORMOUS thanks to Matt Stockdale who has patiently been helping me through this transition as it has been a rough one, Thanks heaps Matt...

I wanted to know if any of you guys have introduced adult beardies before and how smoothly this has been done, as i am having to pull these guys apart constantly and the poor boy is even scared of ME now, whereas he was a cuddley little thing yesterday, now i can't touch him.:(

Here's what ive done so far, on Matt's advice: (this man is a legend in his own right btw)

*1. I introduced the new Male "Spike" to my female "Rexie" in her enclosure, which has been hers alone for about 3 years with no intruders....(i bought her as a 3yo)
- they looked at each other from across the cage for about 25-30 mins, the started circling like boxers, then open mouth boxers, so we seperated. placing Rexie, the female, into a meshie for 30 min or so to let them both calm down.

*2. I introduce Rexie back into her cage, which he(Spike) has now had a chance to call home and swing off a few logs and fall of the water dish etc etc, and they followed almost exactly what they had done the first time. Baring in mind, Rexie is the one doing all the attacking, naturally as it is her cage. This time however, there is some fast bobbing, and waving, and Rexie blew out a full black beard, which is her usual reaction to a male.
- they had to be seperated again, same drill, her out in a meshie.

*3. After about another hour, i introduce Rexie again, and this time she lets his climb on her back for a little while, then turns nasty on him and grabs him by the neck spikes and shakes him like a dog, needless to say, as soon as i was on my feet, they were in a bucket of water till she let go, and they were seperated again. This time however, when she left the tank, he pined for her, wanting to get out as they can still see each others enclosures.

*4. I prepared dinner, her bok choy and meal worms and his rep-cal adult in mango juice, in the same bowl, this idea worked well as after all the fighting they were both hungry. I put the food in the enclosure and Rexie too, they shared a meal from the same bowl, even some of each other's reg diet. Then with full bellies, they were at it again, snapping at each others tails, Rexie kept going for Spikes` neck, so i seperated them for the night, Rexie sleeping in a spare snake enclosure and little to far away from the aboreal heater, but still fairly warm. (Will add branches now that it is daylight, thanks Matt.)

*5. Now we've caught up its morning, i put Rexie in with Spike and the immediate circling pictured below started, resulting - tragically- in Rexie getting a hold of Spike front left arm like a Pitt Bull and shaking a lot, and doing her version of the croccie death roll, i dunked them in a bucket, i sprayed water up her nose, i didn't pry for fear of hurting her, so in the end it took about 40secs under water for her to let go, his head was above water, hers below until she let go.

Consequently, i called Matt nearly in tears, he reassures me that perservearance is the key, but for now, i am leaving them seperated til this afternoon when i will try again. Does anyone have any suggestions, or miracle "lizard aphrodiziacs" that you think i should know about.??

Again, thank you so much to Matt, sorry for being such a pest!..

Angel

:x She is being a grumpy old moo, poor old fellow being chomped on for nothing, I was always told that food shared would do the trick, but you have tried this and to no avail. Good Luck!

Ok today is another day

Ok today is Another day, we started off great, with the following behaviour.

th_living_harmoniously_1.jpg

th_living_harmoniously_2.jpg

th_living_harmoniously.jpg

Then started destroying each other once again.

So i put them in a nuetral enclosure together, and they continued trying to eat each others tails off.
So i took one out and put him on the outside of the enclosure. As seen here.
th_teaser.jpg

Then i thought ok, if he wants to stay with her that bad, they could spend the day out in the sun together, like so...
th_2.jpg

And they are happily climbing up the walls to see each other, so hopefully when i bring them in for the evening meal.... they might play together, instead of fighting.... and by play, i mean..... well you know....

RE: Ok today is another day

Ok, i think we may have some success.
After a couple of hours of side by side enclosures, i have put them together again.

For the last hour, they have been sharing the one water dish(cat litter tray) and not fighting. They are almost touching, and not fighting this is great!!!.

th_1.jpg

th_2.jpg

th_3.jpg

th_4.jpg

th_5.jpg

Do you think its possible you may have 2 males ???

My females don't fight what so ever but I put 2 males together and they are fighting like well as you know ;)

nope, matt checked her for me when i thought he was a bloke, and found out he was a she, spike has fathered 4 clutches this season already so he's definately the real deal.
she is fighting because she has been alone for 3 years and is very territorial...

oh ok.... Cause my girl was by herself for about 3 years before I got her and was by her sefl for another month here and I got myself a boy and they are the bestest of buddies :)

Sorry I can't help..... Then again I am not the most experienced herper;).... Only had the licence since September and I have never had a drama with my beardys..... Good Luck !!

Hi all :)
Not that I can see anything apart from the sizes of them, I would say that in this bottom pic, the one on the bottom looks like the male and the one on the top looks like the female. Are they positively sexed?? Coz yes, males will fight like anything, and so can girls when they feel like it. But if you know for sure, than ignore my question :)
I have a female (Princess) who whenever I used to put her near one of the males (Mojo) she would do the exact some thing. Puff her beard out and attck him. I know that she is definately female though since she's the one who laid the eggs ;)
It's a territoral dispute - that's all by the sounds. If you are sute that you have a guy and a girl, with time (as that wonderful Matt said), they will learn to live with each other. Be warned though that beardies living together constantly can be known to get sick of each other and not breed. Two of my guys (Princess and TJ) lived together for 3.5 months and nothing. I took her to work for a full day and popped her back in the tank that night. 48hrs later I separated them. 30 DAYS later, she popped out 18 eggs!! So it might end up being better to house them separately permanently...?? (Mind you, Princess and TJ are miserable without each other so they live together 24/7)
The only other thing that I wanted to point out is that if she is 6 years old (going by the fact that you bought her when she was three and it's now three years further on), she may be getting to an age where she won't breed?? This is what I have heard anyway. From 5-8yrs, they can stop breeding....Correct me if I am wrong people :)
Good luck with it all though and keep us posted :)
Bex

Thnaks Bex, yeah they are definately sexed right, and she is 3yo totasl, him 2.5yo, i wish they would get sick of each other and just live harmoniously ignoring each othe.... that alone would make me happy.......

Angel

Keep us updated on their progress - who knows, maybe the xmas cheer will help things along ;) lol
Good luck, and yeah, at those ages - you should be fine :)
Merry Xmas everyone
Bex

Ok, yeah well they dont seem to be fighting anymore, but they are being friendly either..... my gorgeous baby girls gold phase brilliance is all but gone, she in a real bad mood and almost all stoney grey/green coloured today, they are in opposite ends of the enclosure ignoring each other........

I dunno what more i can do other than leave them alone to deal it out between themselves now......................

Angel

You seemed to have some success with them in the same cage outside??? Perhaps because it is neutral territory?? She has assumed ownership of her enclosure cause she has lived there for 3 yrs?? Someone suggested to me to change all of the cage furniture so it is like a new enclosure to both of them. Dont go out and spend heaps of cash. Just use a chinese food container and some new branches and substrate.
Worth a shot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back