Introducing Hiccup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss.Hiss

Reaction score
Here he/she is - Hiccup: my hatchling Central Netted Dragon! Bought him/her (let's just say 'him' for easiness' sake) at the Aust Reptile Expo last weekend, and he is just a ball of energy!! And so tiny!
I've attached a pic of him, some of the enclosure are coming:)

I just have a few Q's though - just to double check I'm on the right track...
  • I was told sand as a substrate is no good when they are babies (could be ingested and kill them), so I have marine carpet atm with a heat mat (hooked to thermostat for safety) underneath - I was assured that was safe.
  • Food wise - how do I get him to eat?? I have a food bowl, have tried little bits of shredded carrot and wetted lizard pellets (juvenile) - I want to try mealworms/crickets but I was concerned they might be too big for him atm? He's 8.5cm long! He just doesn't seem to be too hungry since I got him 2 days ago.
  • Heating - it's around 38-40degC directly under the heat lamp and with the heat mat too, and 28-30degC in the cool end (with a little rock hide/burrow that is cooler.
  • Shannon's book (which I've heard is amazing, and judging by the excerpts on the website, it will be gospel for this little guy- great job Shannon:D!!) is on it's way - should be getting it this week.
  • Handling - let him settle for the week then start introducing my hand/fingers? Or straight away?
OK - that's it for now I think, just wanted to officially introduce him to everyone here and share my excitement with you all!:lol:
Hiccup.jpg

so I have marine carpet atm with a heat mat (hooked to thermostat for safety) underneath

I would be concerned about the marine carpet / lizard combination, the marine carpet i have is loopy, and not a concern for my snake, but double check your carpet, if its got loops, get rid of it, his claws could become caught

he is very cute and i'd hate to see anything happen to him

temps are perfect buy pinhead crickets for him he should eat those, don't buy meal worms as the meal worms heads can do dammage, if he won't eat in a container under your supervison realese it in front of him and he should chase it down, try feeding him with tweesers.

I would be concerned about the marine carpet / lizard combination, the marine carpet i have is loopy, and not a concern for my snake, but double check your carpet, if its got loops, get rid of it, his claws could become caught

Thanks Jaxrtfm - I hadn't considered that an issue. I'm looking at it now, and it doesn't seem to have loops - it's just a sort of flat fuzz. I will definately keep an eye out for any issues or possibilities for issues to occur with the carpet - thank you!

WayneC - Thanks! 'Hiccup' is the name of the main character in the film 'How to train your Dragon'. I know I know, it's a kid's film :p but it is such a fabulous story and I thought the name leant itself well to such a cute energetic little guy!

jordanmulder - ok sounds great, thanks for the ideas! Are pinhead crickets easy to come by, or do I need hunt to the ends of the earth for a pet shop that sells them? I'm liking the tweezers idea too: I don't want miniature crickets escaping into my room!

grab something with a hook, maybe a bit of velcro... (the hooky bit obviously,) off your shoes, bag, push it into the pile and see if it grabs, my carpet looks flat and felty but i can assure you, it has loops.

I thought of 'train your dragon' instantly..... maybe i'm just a kid at heart :lol:

jus ask at any pet shop if they have any pinhead crickets if they don't i am sure they will recommend someone else that does !!

gorgeous netted hiss. no advice to give (for a change) because i dont have any experience with these at all and no research. but i thought not enough people had commented on how gorgeous he/she is.

I also just wanted to say that he's a little cracker! I've got no extra advice - you sound like you've done your research and love the little guy. I'm looking forward to seeing more pics! Thanks for sharing misshiss.
Nic

u can get marine carpet as normal(loops) and hookless(no loop) grab a fishing hook if you have one if it doesnt catch then u have hookless marine carpet

aww so cute! i want one :) i also thought of how to train your dragon too, we must all be kids at heart, im thinking of naming my next lizard toothless lol

Aww thanks for all the comments and advice guys, I really appreciate it (so does Hiccup lol)!
Sorry I haven't been on to post more pics - been so flat out with uni/work, but it's so great to come home to Zeppelin (my blue-tongue) and Hiccup and just observe their behaviour and admire their cuteness!!

I've been feeding him tiny chopped up pieces of grasshopper, mixed with the URS lizard pellets (very tiny - recommended at the expo) and dusted with repti-vite and he is loving it!! I'm hoping to visit the pet shop this weekend and find out about some pin head crickets :)

aww so cute! i want one :) i also thought of how to train your dragon too, we must all be kids at heart, im thinking of naming my next lizard toothless lol

haha yes we can start a trend!! Sooner or later someone is bound to call their lizard a 'Monstrous Nightmare' - then all will be complete :p
Nice idea with Toothless - I hope when you get your next lizard you name him/her that! :D

... but won't you end up with possible marks on your fingers, proving exactly the opposite?? LOL

Another name one may wish to consider is Gronckle!!

or a Red Death (the dragon in the lair), the Hideous Zippleback, Deadly Nadder, Terrible Terror or the Monstrous Nightmare. yes i've watched the movie way to many times, i also own it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back