Is a fish, just a fish?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Peter. Without more evidence we can never know how he died - if there was no lid on the tank, it's very possible that he did jump out as said. There's no way of knowing.

I am appalled that someone sent you that photo. As suggested, I urge you to make a complaint to the first boss who isn't involved or HR if the company is big enough - pick someone who's neutral and can do something about it, anyway. Put together a record of everything that's been said and done, as well as everything that's been sent to you, and take it to them.

Keep your cool and stay professional, as you have been doing, but you need to get this stopped. You shouldn't have to put up with this for doing your job.

Thank you for your support everyone, unfortunately as I have mentioned before, it is my whole office that is involved, everyone bar myself, I didn't expect to receive the photo, and everyone thinks is hilarious, I guess in small staffed offices who have been here longer to me are used to this. I have been searching for other jobs recently and am awaiting a reply from a friends company to hopefully score an interview, till I leave I will be keeping quiet, as I don't want to have anymore trouble while i'm still in this position, as the last thing I need is to be yelled at again for being upset with the matter. It was the highest boss who forwarded the email, and they have also put it on our companies Facebook I don't have Facebook so I can't check what people have commented, but I was emailed what was written also.

@treeofgreen, believe me when I say that being so reserved sometimes is so hard, especially because I also attended a funeral on Friday, I didn't expect this first thing this morning, and they kept his body for me to "flush" him.

It all comes down to this, a fish just isn't simply a fish, it was a life, and it should have been able to live a lot longer, in better conditions and a better living area.

Again, thank you all for your support,
Em

That is terrible! he fact the boss forwarded it and it was put on FB! What kind of boss is that! I am praying to God that you get the job E_Bunny, you shouldn't have to work in such bad conditions :( Good luck! :)

What I do when all my small animals die is get a pot, paint a little tribute on it for them and bury them in the soil with a lovely flower on top :) That way I always have them with me and a sign of new life as well and I can take them with me when I move :) That might be nice for your little guy if you haven't already buried him?

That is terrible! he fact the boss forwarded it and it was put on FB! What kind of boss is that! I am praying to God that you get the job E_Bunny, you shouldn't have to work in such bad conditions :( Good luck! :)

What I do when all my small animals die is get a pot, paint a little tribute on it for them and bury them in the soil with a lovely flower on top :) That way I always have them with me and a sign of new life as well and I can take them with me when I move :) That might be nice for your little guy if you haven't already buried him?

Thanks again Sharky, I'm going to do that and bury him in the park up the road from my apartment in a little jar with lots of fishies on it :)

I thought it was funny. Though I haven't read this entire thread. I find people are far to serious these days. People making jokes and posting pictures isn't going to bring the fish back from the dead. Make the best of a bad situation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The point is that it doesn't matter if other people find it funny, she doesn't and her co-workers should never have taken it this far.

Making initial funny quips is one thing. Sending intentionally hurtful txt msgs / e-mails after it has been established that she does not appreciate it is quite another.

This is her workplace and these are her co-workers, not her friends. Different standards of behaviour apply. If they find it funny they should keep it to themselves.

Last edited:
It all comes down to this, a fish just isn't simply a fish, it was a life, and it should have been able to live a lot longer, in better conditions and a better living area.

I guess the same could be said for the mice and rats we feed our snakes. The crickets and roaches we feed our lizards. I cant imagine a whole office against me. So I can't even begin to understand where you are coming from..... But not everyone looks at the life of a fish the same as you do. I used to feed fish to a pet eel. I never felt any emotion for the fish, same as I do not when I feed rodents to my snakes. I know you feel differently, but I suspect your work mates will never see your point of view and to them it's just a fish and it means no more to them than a swatted fly. Doesn't make it right, but sometimes understanding your enemies helps...

I guess the same could be said for the mice and rats we feed our snakes. The crickets and roaches we feed our lizards. I cant imagine a whole office against me. So I can't even begin to understand where you are coming from..... But not everyone looks at the life of a fish the same as you do. I used to feed fish to a pet eel. I never felt any emotion for the fish, same as I do not when I feed rodents to my snakes. I know you feel differently, but I suspect your work mates will never see your point of view and to them it's just a fish and it means no more to them than a swatted fly. Doesn't make it right, but sometimes understanding your enemies helps...

I can agree with you on points Snowman and I do agree with you, but in my initial thread and in comments I have made, it upset me because this wasn't a fish purchased for food, it was bought as a pet. Don't get me wrong, I eat fish, I eat meat, I understand that they mean it as harmless fun, that they all find it funny, but under so many circumstances at my workplace my opinion isn't taken into consideration, and they really have blow it all out of proportion. If you would like to read over the entire thread and you can see that I do see their "humorous" side, but I just don't see it like that, and I certainly don't agree how they have taken it so far.

Last edited:
Someone suggested a pet day at work then they remembered what I keep and decided it was not a good idea :)

thats funny, i actually always make comments that Friday should be "bring your pet to work day". Or if you dont have a pet, just bring your best friend.
People know what i keep at home and dont find me very amusing :)

Last edited:
I can agree with you on points Snowman and I do agree with you, but in my initial thread and in comments I have made, it upset me because this wasn't a fish purchased for food, it was bought as a pet. Don't get me wrong, I eat fish, I eat meat, I understand that they mean it as harmless fun, that they all find it funny, but under so many circumstances at my workplace my opinion isn't taken into consideration, and they really have blow it all out of proportion. If you would like to read over the entire thread and you can see that I do see their "humorous" side, but I just don't see it like that, and I certainly don't agree how they have taken it so far.

There's humour and then there's "humour". From what EB describes, this crossed the line and become nasty and cruel some time ago. It's not professional or right, in my opinion, to persist with a joke that a person obviously doesn't find funny, especially not in a workplace where that person is a junior staff member.

EB, it doesn't sound like you have any recourse within the organisation. WorkSafe Victoria oversee bullying and harassment complaints in the workplace. It might be worth having a chat to them to see where this sits on the scale of bad behaviour and if there's anything else you can do. It's not about suing anyone for heaps of money or getting revenge - it's simply about being able to do your job without any unnecessary stress. In the meantime, good luck with getting that interview. I think you know you need to get out of there and I wish you all the best with making your escape. Let us know how you go.

There's humour and then there's "humour". From what EB describes, this crossed the line and become nasty and cruel some time ago. It's not professional or right, in my opinion, to persist with a joke that a person obviously doesn't find funny, especially not in a workplace where that person is a junior staff member.

EB, it doesn't sound like you have any recourse within the organisation. WorkSafe Victoria oversee bullying and harassment complaints in the workplace. It might be worth having a chat to them to see where this sits on the scale of bad behaviour and if there's anything else you can do. It's not about suing anyone for heaps of money or getting revenge - it's simply about being able to do your job without any unnecessary stress. In the meantime, good luck with getting that interview. I think you know you need to get out of there and I wish you all the best with making your escape. Let us know how you go.

Thank you very much Renent, I will keep you all posted on what happens next, my friend said that HR have received my résumé and applications for the current positions will be closed at the end of the month, so I just need to hang in there for now.
Em

Do what I did. Get there early one day, take a whizz in the coffee pot.

Wont help the fish, but you'll feel sooooo much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back