Is feeding on substate ok?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Deville

Reaction score
Is feeding on substrate ok?

hey guys, just wondering if its ok to feed snakes while their laying on substrate and will they swollow some substrate with wet food as it may stick and is it a health issue, i use critters crumble which is pretty soft, so would it pass through digestion or not and cause problems? :? i use newspaper but the snake rolls of the newspaper when feeding and i don't want to stress him out with too much movement at feeding time by putting newspaper everywhere as he is still settling in, he's one of those snakes where i have to feed him and cover the enclosure quickly as he lets the food go coz im there and does not eat. he fed for the first time tonight since i got him which im happy about but both my snakes rolled of onto the substrate tonight during their feed which is a worry. i can't put them in a feeding tub either as im worried they stress out and won't eat. Anyone else experience this problem or any ideas or should i not use substate? i'v heard its ok when snakes eat a bit of substate, but i don't know, has anyone had a bad experience with snakes eating substrate?

Cheers Mo

Last edited:
I say NO. Err on the side of caution by laying newspaper down first.

Thanks Bushman, i redid the post as i forgot to mention that i have been using newspaper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back