is it worth helping a vet?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BhpomgGtpfmd

Reaction score
I was recently asked by a vet if I would be interested in looking after snakes- mainly green tree snakes, that cats get. (Apparently most of the snakes die from the injuries) - another good reason to use cats as crab pot bait :).
I have a Bhp male ( looking 4 a fem yearling), a woma pair and two, Bredle 1 that's supposed to have hypo in its genes and 1 that's half hypo - the front half at that ! The guy in gympie ripped me off on her.
But anyway, what I want to know is there much risk in disease transfer by air and mites ect affecting my snakes. I work in quarantine so I am aware of keeping them seperate and washing my hands before and after handling each diff snake and I use very hot water to disinfect and clean cages and equipment ect and then touch it with straight alcohol spray and/ or alco wipes.
If I were to help the vet, the snakes she gives me will be isolated from mine. Is there a certain distance for that? Any help will ne appreciated and more questions to come I'm sure. Personally I don't really want to risk it but I don't have gtp YET or Albino's, so. I was asked if I was interested about 2-3 months ago, but I've been buying up items just incase.

Thanks, Steve

so long as you keep them separate and use separate tools and cleaning products etc you will be fine

separate means a different room

its well worth doing
the satisfaction you will get from releasing them is worth squillions

I think you have it the wrong way around.I would be more concerned about captive animals passing on illnesses etc to the ones in rehab.

I wonder if it would be more efficient to use your energies in encouraging cat owners to keep their cats away from wildlife. There seems little point in repairing injured snakes so they can entertain another out of control cat again. The cats have won, most certainly in suburbia! Sometimes you need to just accept the facts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back