Is keeping snakes cruel?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaughan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, my dad believes that it is cruel to keep snakes and that it is unnatural. I'm not saying i believe him although I suppose he has a strong point. I'm all for having snakes as pets but i would like your honest opinions on this?

Of course it is! I make certain of it with daily waterboarding and sleep deprevation....

Do you have Birds? Or Fish?.... Or for that matter do you own any other animal? Domestic or not...

If thats the case every single pet ever kept is cruel, as snakes we buy are captive bred they dont know anything else so i dont see how its cruel. people who take from the wild and shove in a box i believe is cruel, but thats a different story. snakes bred in captivity and looked after well is good i believe. they allways have water, food and shelter.

Yes we have a dog. Just remember though this is his opinion and not mine. I think he believes they need to be in the wild and have lots of space.

Yes we have a dog. Just remember though this is his opinion and not mine. I think he believes they need to be in the wild and have lots of space.

Well tell your dad i said he's cruel... ;)

For something to have been raised to know no better, it would be like being locked up in the house with all entertainment and having a carer clean for you and cook for you, your allowed outside for exercise and handling. Not so bad of a life i dont think....

To tell you the truth i believe you have asked a pretty silly question imo... after all this is a Herp Site, so i don't think you will find many who will side with your dad lol

Haha ok Minka. Its so frustrating though because he will not change his mind about it and that is the reason i can't have one until i am out of home.:cry:

Yes i know, just looking for some good arguments :)

Haha ok Minka. Its so frustrating though because he will not change his mind about it and that is the reason i can't have one until i am out of home.:cry:

It would most likely be more that he is scared of them, I still love when my old man comes around and i walk down the hallway with a 8ft snake he nearly cries!!! :)

Its best of not looking for a fight as you wont win, its there house after all. Best off saving your $$ to move out as soon as your ready. Plus its better to have a taste of the real world before buying up on future expenses. Its hard to argue with them, but evidently its one less thing they can hold against you too. My mum used to threaten to get rid of my animals or put them down if i didnt study.
When i moved out i was finding it extremely difficult to feed myself as well as my dog and other critters.
My dog was taken by the pound as i never managed to pay for a micro-chip. And i couldnt repair the fence. I died that day, so dont rush into the commitment.

Thank you midnightserval i will keep that in kind

I will keep looking out for my beloved Jess.....I dont think i will ever heal from that one.

It would most likely be more that he is scared of them, I still love when my old man comes around and i walk down the hallway with a 8ft snake he nearly cries!!! :)

LOL I agree! when we have visitors it usually turns out that the big blokes are more scared of the snakes than the 3yo kids! :lol:

I think of it like this when it comes to reptiles and what have you...if you have a few generations of reptile born, bred, living in captivity...they wouldn't really know any better. For something that's always been in an enclosure or tank or anything, what they live in is all they know.
I think there's a little voice in everyone's mind that's very very quite in saying "you know this is wrong, why do it?" but to me that's how I've always thought of it. If something (or someone) is born in a certain situation, and pretty much blocked off from something (like being in the wild) then how would it know?

That's just my 2 cents on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back