Is keeping snakes cruel?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree with Chris1
we have a few parrots and they are good sized birds with a HUGE cage in the house. however, the only time we lock them in the cage is when we are at work and we go to sleep at night. otherwise they are out to do as they will when ever they like. usually they play with toys, destroy thing or sit there talking. but either way they are happy. i hate seeing people who buy birds and have them locked up 24/7. that is cruel

I wonder what it would be like to be a bird and being able to fly way up high, feel the change in temperatures the higher you go, to look down on the world, to be free..................but being stopped.

It would most likely be more that he is scared of them, I still love when my old man comes around and i walk down the hallway with a 8ft snake he nearly cries!!! :)

Lol i was thinking the same thing as well.

my mum is scared of mine ( hence the reason for the enclosure to be in the same room as her computer)

but she never put up a argument for me keeping one....

Ive found with parents is that if they dont want you to have something then they will make up any excuess to stop you from having it.
more so its their house an their rules so this is your time to load your self with as much herp knowledge as possiable an save your pennys cause its not cheep setting up a enclosure for your herp.

dont worry mate i was in the same boat when i was 10.

laze, a baby need mental stimulation, interaction with other tchildren it's own age, nice people to support it and a variety of different foods. a snake needs food and water.
BIG difference. lol

my dad is petrified of my snkae, and now wont come into my room :). funny thing is, the snkae is only 30cms long!

My dad also believes it's cruel and I once argued the point saying that they are born in captivity and they know no better. He then asked me if a baby is born in prison should the baby then stay in prison? I know it's a little extreme but it kinda made me think

laze, a baby need mental stimulation, interaction with other tchildren it's own age, nice people to support it and a variety of different foods. a snake needs food and water.
BIG difference. lol

Actually a very reasonable analogy antaresia boy.
Snakes do need more then food and water.
A place where they can feel safe, heat when needed, clean environment, good temperature range, periods of light and darkness...and thats just some of the basics that humans have worked out so far.
It has been speculated (some would say proven) that all beings have a consciousness. If true...what is your snake consciousness saying?
What is your snakes needs on a consciousness level?
To say that a snakes needs are met by humans placing it in a cage and providing the usual setup is arrogant in the extreme.
But dont worry, your not the only one who believes that, its a common human trait.

Heres a nice easy introduction to the subject if at all interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_consciousness

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_in_animals

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back