Is this enclosure good?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylaismyth

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got my snake enclosure yesterday and had it assembled. Picture below.
The enclosure itself (minus the cabinet it's on) is 56cm long, 40cm wide and 45cm tall.

Im looking to purchase a stimsons/spotted/childrens python around the end of march/beginning of april. When I get the 950$ payment from the government I'll be getting my license, all the heating/lighting equipment, then the snake.

So, do you think this enclosure will be good for my snake of choice? Also, what lighting and heating things will I require? I went to the pet store and the guy quoted me on lights, heating stuff, hides, etc, and it came up to something like 700-800$.

Attachments

• IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 215
haha nice.. i got the same one but the 120 long it cost me $360 no stand (witch works well because i have a cabinet already to put it on) im getting a small carpet python for mine next month, il tell you how it goes :) best of luck

Its nice! Not sure about the quote on equipment you got though sounds like a big rip off. Check out Herp Shop or Goulburn valley reptile supplies or The reptile guys. Surely you can get a heat mat, heat light, cage, few bits and pieces for way cheaper than that!!

Thanks guys, I was a little worried it might be too small... But I've heard snakes don't like too much space anyway. I do hope he/she doesn't grow TOO big for it though! :(

I have a stimmie and i just have him in an exoterra enclosure with a heat mat (although with that enclosure id use a globe with a cage around it )

two hides (they dont need expensive hides i have 2 i bought for like 20 dollars each and he prefers the light globe box, typical snake)..

substrate - i use Aspen shards for the substrate as mine likes to burrow down into it and make all these tunnels but really can use papertowel repti bark etc

then i just have a few fake plants i had laying around.

cost me like
$150- thermostat
$30- heatmat or $20 for infared heating globe
$20- bag of aspen shards
$15 - water bowl
$10- feeding tongs
thats a rough estimate of my stuff the thermostat prices differentiate alot.

I have the same enclosure for my Children's and it is a good enclosure for them for a while but you have to watch out for the hinge's on the top. My girl got herself stuck up the middle of it so if you can try and modify the hinge so the snake can't get up inside it. I had to remove the entire hinge to be able to get her out and she damaged her back a bit.

I've now completely removed the hinges and just weigh the lid down. You will have to drill a hole in the lid to be able to put the light fitting in but that's not too hard to do if you have the right tools.

If you're only getting a hatchling you'd be better off starting it off in a click clack and then put it in the enclosure you have when it's a bit older. All you would need is the plastic click clack, a heat mat, a small water dish and a hide.

The enclosure should be half the length of the snake . That one is fine for the type you are getting . Dont listen to the petsop , you can get everything for around $200 . Save your money for all the other reptiles you will want later .

It looks fine to me for a spotted/stimson/children:)
Well done studying before buying a snake:) Your one of the good ones.
Ben.

looks fine for what your getting. as jewly said if your getting a hatchy put it in a click clack

If You really wanted to you could use click clacks for its whole life but otherwise that looks fine. :)

If you're near the bayside area, I can recommend Simon at Everything Reptile on Manly Road, Manly West. He normally has some lovely little Children's/Stimson/Spotted hatchies and his prices are good. He also stocks a good range of accessories as well.

If you're near the bayside area, I can recommend Simon at Everything Reptile on Manly Road, Manly West. He normally has some lovely little Children's/Stimson/Spotted hatchies and his prices are good. He also stocks a good range of accessories as well.

Yep, I'm in the area, if I can get around to there I'll make sure I look out for him!

Check out HerpShop prices before you buy anything from the pet shop. You'll need a thermostat, light cage, ceramic fitting, heat globe (I like ceramic), etc. Good luck setting up and everything. Stimsons are great little snakes. I jsut had our 8-year-old girl out showing her to a couple of kids today. She is honestly the world's most gentle and mellow snake.

I think I might get an older snake, maybe one a few months old... Will I still need a smaller area until it gets older?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back