Italian skinks.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpeica

Reaction score
I've been in Italy for the last 3 weeks (came back a week earlier because some idiot managed to lose one of my red bellies in the shed) visiting family and all that and I have a few photos of some skinks I found..

Found this guy near the Colloseum.
skink1.jpg

skink2.jpg

This was at the Forum. Very bad picture.
skink5.jpg

These were everywhere. This one was caught at my Aunties house in Gradisca.
skink3.jpg

skink4.jpg

I have no idea what species they are, but will try and figure it out tomorrow.

SVL of about 100-120 mm.
The skink in the third pic that can hardly be seen was a lot more attractive. Most of the body was bright green.

Yessssssssss...it is NOT a skink but a common lizard. Every part of Italy got its own type and their genetic is always a work just in progress.
Cheers

I think someone took a green highlighter to those photos in the second link. ;)

Beat me to it, not skinks but I guess the equivalent. Very beautiful very common lizards.

Thanks for the links.
I'm pretty confident that the green thing I saw was Podarcis siculis.

Yes podarcis are Lacertids and ergernia are Skinks. A little like Green Tree Pythons and Gree Tree Boas, very similar and fill a similar niche.

ssssnakeman said:
top pics looks similar to egernia striolata,,
podarcis and egernia would have to be totally different though huh??
great pics

I also saw one of them in the colloseum years ago when i went to Italy, but didn't get any pics.
Great looking lizards though.

On a different subject..
I just found that lost red belly.
Everyone's lost their keys to the shed now and I'm never going on holidays again.

At least you got it back, always at the back of your mind when you've got a loose ven :lol:
Where'd you find it?

Those first 2 pics, with the spots over the lizard at a quick glance you could be forgiven in thinking it was a cunningham

Oh good, i wasn't going to say anything because I didn't think you'd forgive me, but i thought it was a cunningham at first glance :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back