It's a whale of a time - Should Japan be allowed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats exactly it. They are safe in our waters, but as soon as they leave them BANG. I just dont think whaling should exist in 2007. It has been proved a few whale species are seriously threatened due to whaling. Of course japan wouldnt agree with this, theyre defending themselves. I heard scientists are trying totcreate non animal meat products i heard this too - lets hope its successful. Refer to why Australia stopped its whaling. Its a very unpopular food in Japan anyway. And many sharks are protected because of the same reason. Humans hunting them down or catching them in nets. We've driven some species to the edge and now we;re fighting to save them. To me thats just not logical. I feel so sad watching the whales go past, but then knowing what they face ahead and that alot wont be back next year, it makes me sad. Seriously though its been proved tourism in whales will bring in alot more doe than whaling - they need to rethink the whole idea. The japanese public dont really like it, some species are close to extinction because of whaling, they do it illegally half the time, many countries and allies do not agree with it, and they would make more money in tourism, and bring a great economy into japan with this. Im over, thats it, im out!

I agree wif Boa.. i saw a doco.. on the fact that 90% of japanese ppl dont even eat whale.. i think they are fighting this thing just to prove a point.. the point being .. they can do wot they dam well please..
I think it is very wrong and if the whales cant be protected in our waters where will they be safe???
Alot of whales die to shark attack too.. thats really killing enough of them...

i think it is a misconception that people think japanese people don't like whale. Most have never tried it, so they can't say if they like it or not.

Celly do you feel the same way when you see a wild pig or kangaroo? I'm not having ago, just curious because most people seem to have a double std about whales and then other animals.

At the end of the day the worlds most predatory species is the HUMAN.........and yet we are supposedly the brainiest species around - that is, next to whales & dolphins.

Whaling should be outlawed there is sufficient domestic species in the world today without having to hunt other species to extinction - this also goes for green turtles & dugongs. And if the Japanese say "Oh its been part of our culture for millions of years" - is utter crap because now they have supermarkets & take away outlets galore - no need to hunt for it anymore to feed.

good one moosey...
i notice that before on ur signature u had hampsters and now they are gerbils.. and u added toadfish.. im watching u.. hehe
are u unsure of wot animals u have????

good one moosey...
i notice that before on ur signature u had hampsters and now they are gerbils.. and u added toadfish.. im watching u.. hehe
are u unsure of wot animals u have????

I wanted them to appear a little more exotic :D I was going to mention that I kept a whale - but that would seem a little odd.

I am against even a single whale being hunted for food or 'scientific purposes'

But they're scientifically testing the tastiness of whales! ;) Ok, now that I've got my bad joke out of the way, I'll move on to my point.

If Japan can whale in a sustainable manner, then I don't really have a problem with it. I wish the Japanese government would just own up and say, "ok, we're really whaling because whales are tasty!" instead of pushing on with the scientific research line.

I feel so sad watching the whales go past, but then knowing what they face ahead and that alot wont be back next year, it makes me sad.

Do you think about the poor little cows when you're slicing into a steak?

Do you think about the poor little cows when you're slicing into a steak?

Yes :D ...and I've come to realize that the tastier the steak, the happier the cow was! :D

Also, If the whaling stops, what will I run my whale-oil lamp on? And my soap won't be as soapy without bits of whale in it either - I'm becoming very alarmed!

Endangered sharks are protected.

Protected yes, but their slaughter in Australian waters is still allowed "for scientific purposes" or to claim fishing records :shock: :rolleyes:

Far far far far far far far more animals are extinct or endangered today due to farming, are we gonna stop that too because "it's 2007"?

Whales are nice yes, but why do we have such a double standard when it comes to them?

tisk tisk

Yes :D ...and I've come to realize that the tastier the steak, the happier the cow was! :D

Also, If the whaling stops, what will I run my whale-oil lamp on? And my soap won't be as soapy without bits of whale in it either - I'm becoming very alarmed!

I cant believe u are buying that brand of soap..
U shood be ashamed....

go into youtube and type animal cruelty in japan it makes you sick turnes u off that country

What I do not undertand is why whales need to be eaten? Large scale whaling only really begun after WW2 when there were a lack of food options, it was a cheap and effective way of feeding the population at this time.

I know we go through our share of factory farmed livestock as well, but so does Japan and Norway, why must people now be eating endangered, highly intelligent animals as well?
The current situation regarding whale meat in Japan at the moment, has them overstocked with the stuff, they have so much, they are bringing it into school cafeterias, introducing it to younger generations, as for the moment, whale meat is mostly enjoyed by older generations, it is not a mainstream food item.

As for being humane in their killing methods, that has been disproven by various animal welfare organisations. The actual hunt can last for hours, and the animal suffers immense stress from the chase. The harpoon rarely kills the animal, and it is then tugged on board suffering massive blood loss. Once on board, it is shot numerous times with a rifle.
The sad thing is, whales (once out of the water) are unlike many other mammals, and can not move or make any audible sounds, so often they are thought to be dead and carved up whilst still alive and very aware of what is happening to them.

With already so much animal slaughter going on in the world for human consumption, surely some animals could be exempt? Just my opinion, not everyone will agree.

Last edited:
Mate, I'm sorry if this is noted as attacking, but I believe that those people who are saying that we're hypocritical to be against the Japanese for killing whales, because we kill and eat cattle, etc are being ignorant.

The animals we eat are farmed, they are not involved in the ecosystem (other than the pastoral land needed for them demolishing native, natural land) in any way and are not wild animals. To kill any wild animal in unrestricted quantaties is unnacceptable. Humpback whales are a species that has only recently recovered it's numbers in the wild, and can easily be placed back on the endangered list as a result of hunting.

Now, if the Japanese can find some amazing way to farm the whales and kill them humanely (ie, not shooting them with explosive harpoons and dragging them onto ships), then go ahead. Until then, however, my position is firm and clear. I'm opposed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back