It's a whale of a time - Should Japan be allowed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are so incredibly part of the eco-system. I can't beleive someone would be so naive to think they weren't. Farmed animals have a huge impact on the eco-system, they change and irreversibly damage ecp-system. To me your argument hold very little water in that respect.

But much respect to you on how in-humane it can be the way the whales are killed.

LAND RIGHTS FOR GAY WHALES . But seriously l like the guys down there raming whaling boats , more power to them . Should take up a collection and buy them a really BIG GUN .

We purposely farm cattle for Macdonalds, if they are prepared to section off the ocean and farm a whale I'd have no problem. :|

and that's why I do not support macdonalds!
Others hunt whales.... but not to the extent (numbers AND lies) of the Japanese

I see it as the same old Karma story

"What goes around comes around"
The AUS Navy needs some target practise!
There also has to be a better way to "scientifically" harvest whales too

So what many of you are saying, in summary is, if Japan can farm the whales, kill them humanely they can do so... But - who thoguht of where and how they get these whales. Are they going to start test tube whales? Nah ah... They have to steal them straight from the wild. I can not see any oposition there to that at all (sarcasm, lowest form of wit) even if people were comvinced that millions would be saved, but we still need these 35000 whales to start our whaling farm - I seriously have my doubts on this as a method.

Whales, may not actually be endangered (some species) and I'd LOVE to see the japanese figures of their scientific exploration of this resource.

Because if there's enough to go round, then surely we shouldn't be complaining!

i think it is a misconception that people think japanese people don't like whale. Most have never tried it, so they can't say if they like it or not.

Celly do you feel the same way when you see a wild pig or kangaroo? I'm not having ago, just curious because most people seem to have a double std about whales and then other animals.

It isn't a double standard.

Whales are endangered.
Kangaroos are not.

ABC tonight at 9.20 - Foreign Correspondent takes a look at the Japan fisheries and how much damage they are (the Japanese) are doing to the worlds Southern Blue Fin Tuna supplies.

Ummm hello... kangaroos ARE endangered! Just like whales, not all kangaroos are on the extinction list, but there are several types that are!!!

Protected yes, but their slaughter in Australian waters is still allowed "for scientific purposes" or to claim fishing records :shock: :rolleyes:

Far far far far far far far more animals are extinct or endangered today due to farming, are we gonna stop that too because "it's 2007"?

Whales are nice yes, but why do we have such a double standard when it comes to them?

Supply references to the fact that you can legally catch an endangered shark to claim a fishing record.

Supply references to the fact that animals are extinct due to farming.

It isn't a double standard.

Whales are endangered.
Kangaroos are not.

ABC tonight at 9.20 - Foreign Correspondent takes a look at the Japan fisheries and how much damage they are (the Japanese) are doing to the worlds Southern Blue Fin Tuna supplies.

Not all the whales that are hunted are endagered.

I think we can all conclude there IS enough of certain species of whales to be sustainable - if EXTREME quotas are in place.

But... The methods of killing are not acceptable and often the wrong species are killed or... A mother is killed and also killing the calf(s). This is not sustainable. And perhaps the need to kill is far out weighed for the need to conserve - in our eyes!

Do you honestly trust Japan to obey the quotas? They already fish illegal in Australian waters!

IF they could kill humanely (don't try to tell me they are almost killed instantly like the Japanese do - but it sounds as though you disapprove of their methods as well) and sustain populations then I'd have no problem.

The issue is I do not trust the Japanese when it comes to fishing and I DO NOT trust their scientists saying it is sustainable.

I suggest everyone watches Foreign correspondence tonight!

(The species of kangaroo that are endangered I have a problem with killing.)

Do you honestly trust Japan to obey the quotas? They already fish illegal in Australian waters!

IF they could kill humanely (don't try to tell me they are almost killed instantly like the Japanese do - but it sounds as though you disapprove of their methods as well) and sustain populations then I'd have no problem.

The issue is I do not trust the Japanese when it comes to fishing and I DO NOT trust their scientists saying it is sustainable.

I suggest everyone watches Foreign correspondence tonight!

(The species of kangaroo that are endangered I have a problem with killing.)

Good calls - except the bolded part...

I don't believe this is 100% true at all - is there some documented proof of this?

I can't say it doesn't happen, I just don't believe it happens to the extent you are talking about.

Indonesians apparently break this law regularly.

I have seen people from Korea and other asian countries taking undersized fish from the local wharf, and I requested they replace them or I call the fisheries officers... They don't understand that - and it does make some sense to take the young ones out and leave the adults to continue spawning...

You're right, I do not agree with whaling, but it doesn't mean it's not right!

Inside Australian Antarctica waters:
http://www.whales.org.au/news/antarctic.html

(The source is obviously from an anti-whaling site - but find me a pro whaling site which has incriminating news stories :p)

How is that illegal fishing?

And they have already protested that Australia has no rights ot the water in Antarctica.

Still - firing on an unarmed vessel would be an act of war - and do Japan have a military? I think it might be one military we'd have a chance against (maybe).

So should we?

People are going on here about being no difference to killing a whale to a cow. Well a female whale breeds once every 5 years and only gives birth to one calf.A cow can breed every year.A kangaroo can have a joey at foot,ajoey in the pouch and one ready to come out when the joey in the pouch vacates. The level of sustainability is very different in all 3 mammals. Japan has enough whale meat in frozen storage to last forever for the #@!*s that eat it.I dont have a issue with indeginous hunting,such as the eskimos who only kill what they need and use everything and use old school weapons and not harpoons that explode inside the whale.

Supply references to the fact that you can legally catch an endangered shark to claim a fishing record.

Supply references to the fact that animals are extinct due to farming.

Are you really arguing that animals have not become extinct from land clearing that has been done so that the land can be farmed? Do i really need to find you a referenc e for that?

You people are all missing the point! International intervention will do nothing to deter the Japanese - but tell em that whale hunting will reduce their sex-drive and you're onto something ;)

You people are all missing the point! International intervention will do nothing to deter the Japanese - but tell em that whale hunting will reduce their sex-drive and you're onto something ;)

Actually moose, Japan has a real problem there - ironically they have the LOWEST birthrate in the world. So much so that companies now are having to give incentives for the over worked couples to go home early for a bit of loving. Money is being thrown at couples to have children.

Maybe it's whale they need!!!

Actually moose, Japan has a real problem there - ironically they have the LOWEST birthrate in the world. So much so that companies now are having to give incentives for the over worked couples to go home early for a bit of loving. Money is being thrown at couples to have children.

Maybe it's whale they need!!!

Or...maybe it's the fact they are never at home because they are out hunting whales! ;)

And is the protection being enforced? .
The fine for even harming let alone killing a grey nurse shark is up to $220,000.
The great white is also protected, though i dont understand why we hunt them down if someone is attacked in the area . The whole whaling and what we should eat debate will never end and everyone is entitled to there opinion, im against commercial whaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back