Jon and Ryan from Wollongong -ballotted Spotted Python newbies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meako

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I "adopted" a Spotted Python yesterday through a WIRES ballot.It was seized from an illegal collection via a police operation.
Its a first for us and although I have been given good advice on caring for it I naturally have a few questions.
To start with this is an adult sized(i can't see it getting much bigger) Spotty.We picked it up yesterday and introduced it to its new and comfortable home.
Not sure of the age or the conditions of its previous life.
It took a mouse 2 days ago and was ravenous.
We pretty much left it alone in its new home overnight.
My son 12 removed it this morning to a cardboard box for a baby rat (fully thawed and warmed up with hot water and presented as per advice )
It wasn't interested -had a sniff, had a taste but ignored it completely and then started to strike and hold striking postures.
Could the temperature be a factor? -it has gotten a fair bit cooler here in the Gong since yesterday.
Is the morning the wrong time to feed ?
Would Evening be better?
Was it confused about the the food situation? Is that why it was apparently striking at our movements and the tongs?
OR was this a leaping motion to move out of the box?It kind of half heartedly coiled the rat and then held striking posture
Should we feed in its home? It didn't appear to like the cardboard box very much(but who knows?)or is a remote feeding station better?

Not overly concerned because it looks in superb condition and is very active. Also my son handled it and brought it out no worries at all .
That is until the food came out!The change in attitude was noticeable.
Thanks in advance for any advice and tips.
meako. photo before the food conundrum.
2013-09-17080604_zpsf9fcce05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jon,
It ate a mouse with us. Some do not like rats.
Feeding in the evening would be much better as there is no reason to NOT feed it in it's enclosure.

my spotty is a bit of a tough feeder too, I found laying the food out infront of his hide and the every now and then wiggling it coaxed him into eating, but to be honest snakes will eat when they want I wouldn't be too worried if he goes off for a couple of weeks especially seeing as its a new environment for him.

Leave him alone for the first week or two. Do not touch, disturb or try to feed him. After a week when he's more settled then try feeding him (inside the enclosure will be fine).

If he still won't eat there are many methods such as braining, scenting the rat with mouse or skink, dipping the prey item in egg, blow drying the rat (With a hair dryer) to make it nice and hot and more. I'm sure he'll be fine though, it is rare that snakes feed first day of moving into a new evironment.

Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

thanks everyone.
hot rat sounds just yumptious-cheers sharky.
I think we'll try the leave it alone to acclimatise to new surroundings /noises and smells of this house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back