Jungle and BHP queries...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KatanaRamirez

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking for answers to a few of the following questions and have found at least a little info on some but so far have either not been able to find enough info to satisfy me or have found info from different sources that contradicts each other so I figured if I post my Q’s here I’ll hopefully be able to get all the info I want or at least add to the jumbled info I’ve gathered so far.

Jungles:
I’d like some general breeding info on these guys. At the moment I have a yearling male and will soon be getting a 18month old female, I’m not going to try and breed them anytime soon but want to gather as much info as I can before I do try and breed them.

Particular info
1.) Does age or size determine when a jungle can breed and at what age/size should I start thinking about attempting to breed them?

2.) When putting the jungles together to breed should I:
a) Make a totally separate enclosure in which to house the pair.

b) Introduce the male to the females enclosure.

c) Introduce the female to the males enclosure.

d) Provide a thoroughfare between both enclosures so that each snake can have access to the other snake’s usual enclosure.

3.) How should I go about introducing the snakes to one another when I plan on mating them? Can I just make it so that they can access each other all the time straight away or should make it a more gradual process?

4.) How long should I leave them together before separating them? (How long does the whole mating process take?)

5.) Do I need to prepare a special enclosure for the female to incubate her eggs?

6.) Are there any specific requirements for breeding jungle pythons that different from the breeding info that can be found about breeding pythons in general and if so what are they?

Black Headed Python info

Any BHP specific info you’d like to share?

In particular

1.) Is sand as a substrate okay? (I like the look of sand as a substrate for a BHP but have heard it can be hazardous for some snakes, is the BHP a snake that would have issues with sand?).

2.) I was hoping to house my BHP in a 4ft/2.5ft/2ft enclosure is this an okay size? (From what I’ve read this seems to be okay but you can never be to sure and I’d rather be safe than sorry)

3.) When do BHP’s reach maturity?

Breeding your own snake chow?

The frozen mice I buy at the moment say not to risk other foods as they may not be disease and pathogen free but I thought I’d ask the opinions of a few people on here. Would you consider or do you breed your own snake food if so how do you ensure it is safe for the snakes consumption?

I’d also appreciate any links to info for any of my above Q’s and would like to thank everyone in advance for any info or advice J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back