...Just a bloke with his first Snake - Spotted Python Yearling. (pics and questions)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshman

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Here's a quick shot of my first snake, a Spotted Python yearling, I only picked him (or her, gender is unknown) up on Sunday, and got him (or her) into an enclosure on monday, and have let him settle in.

I still need to put a proper heat source and thermostat into the enclosure, but i'm unsure of brands. as i really do only want to use quality stuff. as well as what temp i should be aiming for on the hot side. i'm fairly lucky that up here in Gladstone the daytime temp should reach a sneaky 30+ deg. so i'm thinking of putting a small extraction fan on the tank just to keep a small bit of air movement happening while the heating element is on. (i would have the thermostat control the element and fan simultaneously)

I'm also not sure about how much and how often to be feeding him. i gave him a pinky rat this afternoon, which was very quickly devoured, so i'm thinking of waiting till thats through his system and pooped out the other end and then trying to offer him another one, then giving him a week after thats pooped out and just continuing on 1/week till he needs bigger/fewer?

anyway, i'll be reding/posting where i can, i'm pretty busy with a 4WD forum and life in general (especially work), so i'll be around, reading more than writing at this stage. Thanks for looking y'all!

Oh yeah, I've named the little guy Pascall, because he's not Allens. (its a candy joke, get it?)

Attachments

• 459304_299201946809743_100001598205222_891336_2053308914_o.jpg
    459304_299201946809743_100001598205222_891336_2053308914_o.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 160
Hey bloke, lovely snake well done.
Welcome

Nice, I have a spotted hatchy, welcome everyone on here is pretty helpful, I have been told 30-33 degrees is ideal temp, we'll see what everyone else thinks.

Good looking little guy, how big is he? Got my spotted last weekend too. He's a yearling and I'm giving him half grown mice as he is about as thich as my thumb and 70cm. He handled it really well and has a nice food buldge. I don't plan on feeding him weekly, I am going to vary it up a bit sometimes one week, two weeks, week and a half that sort of thing. They are opportunity feeders in the wild and don't need the routine. There are so many different thoughts on it and that is just mine.

Awwww he/she is gorgeous. Congratulations on your new addition.

(newbie question) When and how can you find out what sex it is? Do you have to wait until they reach a certain age?

One comment-Your in Gladstone...Shattered man, I was a local but have moved haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back