Just walking the dog!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mate, Im know Boris Biffin will make an awesome addition to our collection. I will be spending the next few days renovating his outdoor enclosure to best suit his needs, and ability. Im currently designing a mobile display enclosure, to use with our static reptile display during the christmas holidays....Im sure he will be a hit.
Remember, If you miss him too much, just let me know ;-)...
Ill post a few pics here next week, after he settles in.
Cheers
Dee

Thanks mate, Im know Boris Biffin will make an awesome addition to our collection. I will be spending the next few days renovating his outdoor enclosure to best suit his needs, and ability. Im currently designing a mobile display enclosure, to use with our static reptile display during the christmas holidays....Im sure he will be a hit.
Remember, If you miss him too much, just let me know ;-)...
Ill post a few pics here next week, after he settles in.
Cheers
Dee

oh good ill till see my handsome boy :)

Great to hear the female made a full recovery. Well done IV.

I’m jealous – one if my favourite snakes but we don’t get them over here. Glad you mentioned the swimming. I double checked the photo and thought, well maybe its just the way the light is reflecting, as it is unusual.

Looks like the python might be eying off ‘breakfast’.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you mentioned the swimming. I double checked the photo and thought, well maybe its just the way the light is reflecting, as it is unusual.

Blue

Any idea how she kept the water out of her nostrils after a 30M swim underwater? After all, she's not a sea or file snake??

Haha! Yeah 5 months! I reckon if you threw a warm wet rope down there you might see some action!
Maybe the swimmer took a couple of quick breaths while swimming, I remember when one of my female bhps ate my finger I had her in the laundry tub and she was under for long enough to get from the tip of my finger to the middle without breathing. As soon as I lifted my hand a bit out of the water she took a quick breath in. It was a very quick breath and enough to tide her over while she ate the rest down to the base where my finger joins the hand I also found a wild carpet once at Stokers Siding that was lying fully submerged at the bottom of a creek. I don't know how long for though I was in a hurry and saw it, watched for a min or so and left.
Good to hear Boris is being looked after.

Ha,ha....BHP's, is there anything they wont try and eat:)!

Any idea how she kept the water out of her nostrils after a 30M swim underwater? After all, she's not a sea or file snake??
I am not entirely sure. They are capable of closing the internal nares and utilising the tube from the trachea when swallowing a large prey item. I would therefore assume that it has closed the internal nares and as long as it does not open its mouth, there is no chance of water entering the lungs.

Unfortunately, I cannot explain what was happenings with the BHP. I know fully aquatic snakes have th ability to close both external nares and internal nares at the same time as closing off the tracheal tube, which allows them to both capture and swallow prey under water without taking in water to the lungs. As it has me curious, I shall do a bit of research and let you know what I find out.

Sorry I couldn’t br more help than that.

Blue

Thanks, Blue, that's very interesting, I had no idea they had internal nares. I've heard our elapids likely originate from sea snake stock way back when, so it shouldn't be suprising. I should stop being lazy and get off my backside and do some research of my own! Never was much of a student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back