just wanna see if my info on keeping an albino darwin carpet pythons is good(:

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantBeatALBINOS

Reaction score
hey guys im getting an albino*darwin carpet python
*soon and i just wanna check up and make sure of somethings cause ive used a few different websites and i wrote it all down - im getting keeping and breeding australian pythons soon from a petstore i know but yeah i wont have the book for a few days still): haha please note when i write or ive changed the sentence meaning more then one website was used and i wanna know what sounds more like what an albino would like:)
tempreture - 28-30.5oC or 32-35oC in the hot end and 24-27oC
night time tempreture - no lower then 22oC or no lower then 21oC
Diet - 1 pinky mouse a week for a hatchy, 1 weaner mouse/normal mouse/ large pinkie a week for yearling, 1 adult rat(if the snakes large maybe a rabbit) per week
Humidity - 45-50% is good, anything else and you will have to clean all the time so its best to keep them a little bit more dry then wet, when humidity dips below the 45% mark lightly list the cage/tank and the hunidity will spike to 70% or so before dropping to a more reasonable level, 70-80% humidity is too high for more then 6-12 hours at a time, dont have constant humidity - create a humidity cylce!!:)

is that info correct or should i just wait to get 'keeping and breeding australian pythons' later this week to find out?:)

any added tips would be really helpfull aswell:)

You can't predict feeding sizes exactly to the date. Snake's growth varies on the individual and so does the food sizes. Best thing I can recommend is for you to buy some scales and weigh the snake, find 15-20% of its body weight and feed a prey item to that size. I'm sure a yearling Darwin would be on something larger than a pinky rat...In saying that I have never owned a Darwin.
Move up the food sizes as needed (It is pretty easy to tell!). If you do not weigh your snake then you can tell as the food should leave a noticeable bump in their stomach.

Talk to the breeder, they will give you all info on feeding, etc.

Albinos are no different to normal darwins beside their colour (And maybe temperment is more docile so I have heard?)

Sorry I cannot help....never owned a Darwin but best of luck! :)

nah i know about the feeding and that i promise i just put rough sizes cause thats what the internet said and i know the size of her and what i should be able to feed her, i just wanted to see what people would say, i talk to the dealer im getting her from alot and he's a great guy! the python is 9 weeks this week and i should have her in few weeks, i want this book first:)

Temps sound fine, as sharkyy1o5 said you can't predict the feed size you just have to go with the flow of the snake. I offer a size a little larger than the biggest width of the snake. That book is excellent full of useful information. Post a pick of your Darwin when you get it, I'm getting an albino Darwin in the next few weeks to good luck.

You can't predict feeding sizes exactly to the date. Snake's growth varies on the individual and so does the food sizes. Best thing I can recommend is for you to buy some scales and weigh the snake, find 15-20% of its body weight and feed a prey item to that size. I'm sure a yearling Darwin would be on something larger than a pinky rat...In saying that I have never owned a Darwin.
Move up the food sizes as needed (It is pretty easy to tell!). If you do not weigh your snake then you can tell as the food should leave a noticeable bump in their stomach.

I think this 15%-20% rule is good for snakes while they are growing (yes I know snakes grow their entire life) but when they approach being an adult you could drop the percentages back as Baden (Solar17) has pointed out because when they have slowed there growth rate down you only need to pretty much maintain their condition.

Temps sound fine, as sharkyy1o5 said you can't predict the feed size you just have to go with the flow of the snake. I offer a size a little larger than the biggest width of the snake. That book is excellent full of useful information. Post a pick of your Darwin when you get it, I'm getting an albino Darwin in the next few weeks to good luck.

yeah ive heard the book is heaps good so i cant wait to get it!:)
and i will, you better post one to!:)
goodluck bro:)

and thanks guys means alot:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back