Juvenile Brown Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

junglepython2

Question- Do all juvie browns have the typical black on there heads? And if so at what length do they typically lose it?

All of the ones i have seen in your area have that marking and it seems to fade
by the time they near the yearling stage.

Juveniles can differ in so many different colours/patterns, some are strongly banded whilst others aren't. As beeman has said they generally tend to lose there bands and head colouring as they grow.

Not to sure on the length when they lose them.

Thanks Beeman, anyone have any idea on what length they lose the collar at?

I have seen fully adult browns (6-8ft) still with black bands and black heads however I must agree with the other guys that usually they are starting to lose the colouring by 12 months. and around 700mm to 1000mm in length.

I have seen fully adult browns (6-8ft) still with black bands and black heads however I must agree with the other guys that usually they are starting to lose the colouring by 12 months. and around 700mm to 1000mm in length.

What kind of browns? I assume gwardars?

You only have to look at the diversity you can get in a single clutch of hatchlings to know there is no 1 absolute answer, some have heavy banding while a clutchmate may be almost granite in appearance.. all the eastern browns I see up here generally look very much like adult snakes after their first year.... (but Victoria is a long way from NTH QLD ;-)

Question- Do all juvie browns have the typical black on there heads? And if so at what length do they typically lose it?
Eastern browns? from my experience yes hatchies all have the black part on the head. As for body banding, some do and some don't.

Definitely Eastern Browns, I live in the Hunter Valley and there are no Gwardars here. Is the doubt in the colouring or the size?

I didn't notice the size you wrote (I got a ripper of a concussion today), I know gwardars vary alot in colour and pattern at adult sizes and i haven't had much experience with easterns so i just wanted to clarify. Gwardars don't get 8ft so that really answers that Q for me.

Found one today that was a salmony colour, still had the black body banding but absolutley no colour on its head at all. If I can find it again tomorrow I'll try to get some pics.

Ok here are some pics, it also had an interesting house mate sharing the same rock.

Attachments

• brownwhip0004.JPG
    brownwhip0004.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 132
  • brownwhip0028.JPG
    brownwhip0028.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 130
  • brownwhip0001.JPG
    brownwhip0001.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 147
Status
Not open for further replies.