Kangaroo Island Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathewB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello people,

My parents have decided we are going on a trip during the Christmas holidays and Kangaroo Island keeps popping up so is there anything reptile related there? Be it or Zoo or National Park, any good herping spots or something?

Additionally is there anywhere in Australia that I can go to during the Christmas holidays that is not north of the Gold Coast, or hot and still see some wildlife (preferably reptilian of nature)? And it has to be family friendly.

Thanks

Been a long time since I was at KI but my recollections of it are that it was pretty much teeming with wildlife so I would say you'll have no trouble finding reps there.

Two dragon, two gecko, one legless, six skink, one goanna, two snake and six frog species all found on K.I. Sounds like a good holiday destination to me :D.

I think you will be happy to read this blog and see the wildlife photos which include reptiles!;)

A zoo without fences: Charlie Lawrence’s wildlife on Kangaroo Island | Southern Ocean Lodge

Kangaroo Island is a place we have always wanted to visit! Lucky you!:D

Not sure about the blog but the accommodation is a bargain for a family: it starts from only $1000 per person per night!

Plenty do do and see on Kangaroo Island, and probably a great family destination. And yes there is some much more reasonably priced accommodation and camping on the island

Not sure about the blog but the accommodation is a bargain for a family: it starts from only $1000 per person per night

;) I realise the blog showed higher costing accommodation...I sent the link to give MathewB just an idea of what is available to see...answering his question "is there anything reptile related there? Be it or Zoo or National Park, any good herping spots or something?"

KI is awsome, i stayed there a couple years ago, not long after they had some pretty bad bushfires and most of the hicking trails were still closed, still some awesome places to see wildlife tho, and i'd say thay would be open again by now. kelly caves is good for an experience, no wildlife at all down there but you get to explore some caverns and get into some very tight squeezes. check out the park guides on the gov website and it will give you all the places that allow camping and hiking

we go there a lot because it's not very far away. There are some cool reps, on our first night there i went over and flipped some rocks and found a juvi Thick tailed gecko.

and heath goannas and pygmy copperheads are very common

Last edited:
I think you will be happy to read this blog and see the wildlife photos which include reptiles!;)

A zoo without fences: Charlie Lawrence’s wildlife on Kangaroo Island | Southern Ocean Lodge

Kangaroo Island is a place we have always wanted to visit! Lucky you!:D

Thanks for all the replies! :)

The Heath Goannas sound exciting, I'm now looking forward to KI. That Southern Ocean lodge doesn't look to shabby haha. Thanks for the link, seems to be a lot of Wildlife. And yes, lucky me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back