Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In the 80s i was at the camping area opposite the first gorge swimming in the gorge cause they said there was onley fresh water crocs in there and a year or two ago i heard on the news they removed a salty from a property near katherine,whats the go here?? Also at the time i spotted a pig nosed turtle in the first gorge,hanging in the water under a pandanus waiting for fruit.Like this turtle i think? would be isolated until the wet season posibly.There is a report also by Thorne of an oenpelliensis near Katherine, has anyone else been in this area and what have they seen??

Katherine gorge is my favourite place in Australia. I've been there a few times and gone swimming there as late as 1998, but for the last few years there have apparently been salties in there. I've seen quite a few freshies on the trips in which I was swimming in there, but never a salty.

As far as I know, there is only one report on an Oenpelli python in the Katherine area, which makes it a little suspect, but who knows?

I've seen countless turtles in there, but never a pig nosed (lucky you!) :)

I haven't been up there since the toads arrived, I expect you'd see a lot less now than when I was last there. There was a huge diversity of frogs in the area, particularly ground frogs, but I expect the toads will take care of that.

I have never been there but would love too, I reckon it would be awesome. Would make you think twice about swimming in the gorge if salties have been taken from there though.

By the time I get there I would imagine there would be plenty of toads to see, a pretty sad thought IMO.

I was there two years ago and they wouldn't let you swim in the gorge because of the salties (and the current), but they did let us canoe up to a beautiful little waterhole about a mile upstream. Swimming there was OK.

Didn't see any toads then, but saw plenty of squished ones at Mataranka. No turts either. Lotsa Fruit bats.

:p

Hix

I go there quite often.

The toads havent really hit it too bad, there is a bit less mertens there, but other than that, everything is fine.

Lots of Pig Nosed there, saw 4 on my last trip.

There is a really good spot for BHP not far from there ;)

Hix :lol: you must of had a ranger or guide whatever with some knowlege,all i know is they said it was safe from salties and i was swimming from side to side mate.Sought of thought over time like if the pig nose turtles can get there can salties get there.Flaming hell i know now i was swimming round like a big farting white bait ay.

The Katherine floods in the mid ninities allowed a lot of salties too get in too the gorge, so did a few of the more recent wet seasons where there was quite a lot of flooding.

I rekon you were pretty dam safe back in the 80s ;)

Yeh brodes the pig nose turtles and salties must get there in floods during the wet and believe me this little black duck dont swim with salties. :lol: not intentionaly anyway. :oops:

I was swimming in the gorge last august, the rangers said its safe in the dry season (I hope they know what there on about)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back