Keeping ackies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ally_pup

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I hope this makes sense.

Okay I have a 5ft x 1ft wid x 3 ft high glass enclosure with a hood.

I was thinking of using desert sand as substrate in the enclosure, heat mate under a ceramic tile stacker section say about 1x1ft square and a 150wt reptile globe on top for extra heating. I know before I get them I will have to test the temps etc to make sure the heating is correct but would this be the way to go?
Are ackies burrowers, do they climb much. Any other additional furtinure I would have to add? how long could I keep a pair in this before upgrading to something bigger?

Some advice would be great. If anyone has any pics of hatchlings and adults for size comparison that would be great

Ally

they would be fine in that size tank their whole live.
1ft wide is pretty thin, but i guess it will do.
yes they like to dig, make sure you put heavy items down before the sand otherwise they dig under it and get crushed. i have rock stacks filled with sand and they dig around making their way to little burrows they sleep in.

i think a 150watt light might be too much, i have a 100watter and the basking spot is about 150mm from the globe and it gets to 65degress+.
once they establish one spot they always sleep you could put the heatmat under that spot and have it on a timer of say 15mins on/15mins off. that will keep the sand warm and obviously keep them warm during the night.
i have found this way saves a bit more power than running a 75watt heat globe all night.

edit: yes mine seem to love to climb, i think they like to get as high up as possible to look over their 'territory' so i have branches going almost to the roof they can climb up.
i have big branches spanding the length of my ackie tanks and they seem to love running right over it.
also i have rock stacks in the basking area instead of tile stacks, like i get 4 or 5 biggish rocks and stack them making sure they dont wobble around, this gives them lots of nooks and crannies to explore and forage around in, and gives them a range of temps under the basking area to choose from.

Last edited:
awesome thank u that helps heaps.
Would it be more benefical to keep the pair on a 3x2x2 foot than the one I mentioned?

ackies

awesome thank u that helps heaps.
Would it be more benefical to keep the pair on a 3x2x2 foot than the one I mentioned?

It would be more square feet but the heat differential might be tough to maintain, in other words, to have the basking spot hot enough might make the cool side too warm. Also, they will use the extra foot of height in the original cage. Sure you can't make it 5'x2' ?

Ally - ...as adults a 4x2x2 tank is sufficient, although I certainly like to go larger...

The width of your tank is not sufficient, adult Ackies should be somewhere around 45 - 60cms (1.5 - 2ft) so my personal thoughts are that you need more width.

Besides that, your plans seem great, Ackies will climb if given the furniture to do so (this also increases the usable surface area of your enclosure) and love to burrow. a substrate that will hold a tunnel is great...(dirt/clay) from your yard will work well without having to be continually moistened etc...

I have not had a problem in a tank 5ft long in maintaining a good heat gradient, my cool end remains at room temperature whilst my hot spot can exceed 80*c on a hot day (it generally sits around 65*c). Maintaining a good gradient such as this (with plenty of hides throughout - like your stack) is the key to getting the most from your Ackies, you will see and enjoy much more activity from them...

I have included a few old photos - one of a hatchling on my hand (the day he hatched), the one on the brick is a few weeks old, the one biting my hand about 3 or 4 months old...I can't find any photos of the big male I used to have but he was just short of 60cm (TL)...

Attachments

• Ackie1.JPG
    Ackie1.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Ackiebite2.JPG
    Ackiebite2.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 74
  • P2100026.JPG
    P2100026.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.