keeping diamond Pythons together ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevek05

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if You can Put 3 Diamond Pythons in the same tank , wether it be 2 males and 1 female , or 2 females and 1 male , can u do this ?

Thanks

Theres no right or wrong answer,however if you plan to make sure there roughly the same size,other wise the bigger one may eat the smaller ones.IMO i wouldnt keep them together unless i intend to breed.Alot of people have keeped 2-3 together all year with no affects,but is it really worth risking the lifes of any of them...Wouldnt it be much easier to built-buy some more cages,what size are these by the way....MARK

I keep a pair of yearling diamonds togeather. I only seperate them to handle and feed, never had a problem with them. They are both the same size tho! There seperate enclosures are next on the 'To Build' list. All the best, Brad.

the other thing to point out would be feeding, you would need to remove them in to different containers to feed them and then make sure they don't smell like rats/mice when their returned.

2 of them are 6ft + and one is a bout 5ft , I dont plan on keeping them together all year round , i was thinking a bout trying to breed them ,

I have a pair living together in an outdoor aviary. They are very docile and have (so far) proven to be no trouble at all, being kept together. I separate them for feeding. Other than that, they are together every other time.

Yep-

We have a pair of 5+ footers together- split them to feed and the rest is a breeze

2 sexually mature males together may fight resulting in injury or death to one or both of the animals. You could get away with one male and two females together at breeding time, however, you will have more chance of both females becoming gravid if housed seperately and rotated the male. Good luck.

2 sexually mature males together may fight resulting in injury or death to one or both of the animals. You could get away with one male and two females together at breeding time, however, you will have more chance of both females becoming gravid if housed seperately and rotated the male. Good luck.

Never had 2 diamond males fight before, or any diamond for that matter.
The only tricky part would be feeding them.
Aleks.

So male combat is a myth? Or you believe it just doesn't occur in Diamonds?

Regards.
Ewan.

Male combat isn't a myth. Read some of the best books on breeding pythons and those herpetologists share their stories. Some snakes aren't as aggressive as others but male combat does happen.

i keep my adults together all year and they are great together

Thanks mysnakesau I know male combat isn't a myth. I was asking Aleks for his view on male combat in diamonds as I don't keep them.

Regards.

Yea ive done it with out any problems all year round though they were in a pretty big enclosure.

I have never heard or read about male combat in diamonds, Even in the wild I have heard of male gathering around the female quite calmly

i have seen 2 males and one fem in one enclosure together and and when breeding season comes the males just wait for there turn (gentlemen) ,i keep mine in there own enclosures till breeding then week in/out ect.

Never seen male combat in my diamonds or true intergrades for that matter.

im led to believe male diamonds dont combat,in the wild theres often breeding agregations of them and quite often theres many more males than females

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back