Keeping Eastern Water dragons and Turtles together - Is it enough ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndahh

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the site and to reptile keeping myself so please go easy on me.
Just today I have placed my Eastern Water Dragons and my Shortneck turtles together.
I have talked to many reptile owners and pet store workers along with online researching to understand the risk and care associted with doing so.
I understand that the turtles may nip the tails of the water dragons, I came home one night and found that my little EWD has lost his tail BEFORE I started housing them together (when i cleaned the old enclosure i could not find any signs of it).
Before I continue i shall give some info on my reptiles I am currently housing.
My 2 Eastern water dragons (Flash and bolt) were hatched early this year (january 2012)
My Short necks were also hatched in january this year.
I bought a 4 ft enclosure by 18''x18'' enclosure with is fitted with a 1/3 Basking dock area 20 cm off the ground. I have placed branches all around and ensure that if my EWD fell into the water they can get out. The Water is 14cm high. I have a Reptile one reflector light with a 5.0 UV light recommended by the workers at this pet store i went to. On the Right side of the tank i have a reflector dome with a 75W basking light, which i Will change to a moonlight when its night time. I also have a water heater which keeps the water at 25 degrees. I do NOT have a thermostat because the lady at the pet store said that all the heat would escape from the top and she wasnt sure about using electronics around water.
I understand that both creatures deficate in the water so I purchased a Aqua one 1050 Series 2 Cannister filter. Other then that I have 1 semese fighter fight and 2 guppies in the water (The guppies were purchased pregnet so they can reproduce babies in which the turtles and water dragons can consume) so i have no emotional involvment with the fishes i bought.
I also have a 3 ft enclosure which i was holding my EWD's before I tried to house them together as I was also thinking about getting Bearded dragons. However I am holding out that thought until I know that my EWD's are happy, and if not i will move them back to their enclosure.
I have some pictures shown below.

Please help me out, I'm unsure if the enclosure is enough. I was thinking about housing them for about 12 - 18 months before I decide to Build an outside enclosure. I am also an enviromental student and cannot afford too much !

thats a neat looking tank you have there from what i no the ewd and turtles should be fine theres a male ewd and 2 long necks in the tank with him at my vet looks like the end of his tail is missing maby half a cm.. ive had a look around and carnt find anypics of there set up.. if it was a bad idea i think they wouldnt of housed them together

from memory the tank is around 2-2.5m long around 1m wide and 1m tall i think they use a filter for there water to it would be a close set up to use except there is only 1 basking spot and the other ledge i see has a big log where that would be =)

sorry its like a realy late response im doin some research on ewd myself as im after 1
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back