Keeping Rats/Mice Cool

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
As the weather is warming up and summer is approaching I have been putting a lot of thought into how to keep my critters cool. I have had very mixed success in the last couple of years but recently it appears I have finally managed to get some good breeders producing regular babies. However, previously, during the hottest summer days I have lost entire litters and a couple of times my entire stock. To avoid this happening this year I have come up with a bit of a solution. I plan to submerge the tubs in something like a bath as shown in the picture below. The idea here being that the water should help to stabilise the tub temps and hopefully stop it from getting into the danger area around the high 30s. I figure as long as I can build a strong enough "bath" this should also be a much cheaper way than having an air con unit going all day.
Anyway what do you guys think? Does anyone have a better idea than mine? Can anyone see obvious problems with it?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 44
Sounds like a good idea. If you had a fan blowing across the water it would really help keep it cool.

Should be fine as long as someone is there th change the water when it heats up with their body heat and air temp. I use an air con and frozen water in plastic milk bottles as the lick the bottle sometimes chew through and drink the cold water.

Thanks yeah I was planning on dropping some blocks of ice to keep it cool rather than having to change it or run a fan all day.
I have previously used the ice bottle trick as well but still manage to lose them. My shed just gets too hot and I don't have anywhere else to put them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back