Keeping Shinglebacks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nome

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone here keeps shingleback skinks? I can't find too much info on keeping them, just a bit in my John Weigel book, and a few other websites.

Also, does anyone know what is a reasonable price to pay for an adult pair of speckled shinglebacks?

Thanks,
Nome.

Hi Craig,

Thanks, that is very imformative.

So is $400 for a pair of black with speckles too much to pay?

Kind regards
~N

i didn't pay much for mine at fist but they have cost me $100 for getting rid of mites in my whole collection and $200 in vetanary bills!!!

thats why you have to be very careful of who you buy from!!

Yes, that's the problem, as they are normally kept in outside enclosures. The guy I'm buying off, says that he will treat them before freighting, and I was going to treat them once they arrived here with orange medic and quarantine them from the rest of my collection for 2 weeks. Would you say this would be enough?

Thanks for all your info.

~N

would quarantine them for the minimum of 3 weeks

one thing you should be careful of is the humdity levels in the enclouse. make sure there is a large amount of ventilation without loosing much heat. if you get a humitity gauge you should try to keep it around 30-45%.
what are you going to keep it in?

Hi Craig,

Thanks for all the info. yes, because of the humidity in QLD, I was going to keep them in my reptile room with an open topped, 4x2x2 ft enclosure, with UVB lamp. In toowoomba it is not as humid as Brisbane but still humid nethertheless. I was going to buy a hydrometer for the humidity, and the room is heated with additional heat lamps if needed for whatever reptiles need them.

Do you think this is okay?

Thanks so much,
~Nome

The nicer looking they are the more you'll pay, shinglebacks vary alot in color.

Heres a pic of my colony, i've since sold all these guys, some were over 20yrs old.

HI No One,

Thanks for sharing the pic! Wow, you had heaps of them, were they enjoyable to own?

I have been offered a pair of jet blacks for $300, but they sold very quickly. the ones for $400 are black with a few cream bands on them. They sound really nice. I am just unsure of the market for these, as I have seen prices ranging from $45 - $200 per shingleback.

~Nome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back