Kinda new to herping

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amynickid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay since i was a kid I always went looking for animals held frogs and lizards, me and my partner are going out this weekend either tomorrow or Saturday up in the sunshine coast around elimbah area. was wondering what else i would need, bag, camera, snake hook, long stick for poking around, first aid, phones, drinks, food, sun screen, mozzie repellent, we have a Australian snakes guide app, and we know how to handle frogs lizards for photos as i do the only concern i have is how to pick up a wild snake safely, non venomous of course. just for positioning for photos. i own a jungle python but expect the snakes we find to be larger or more aggressive. i know what im doing i guess i just am considering leaving the snakes put or handling em with cation. any advice past experiences.

- - - Updated - - -

i know where to look, oh and a flash light for kit. im just wondering if its a good idea picking u wild snakes. im not scared of a bite and i know how to handle snakes. i would not be touching venomous snakes only your average carpet pyhtons etc.

In QLD it is illegal to touch any wild reptile unless you are licenced to remove them and even then only when they are in unwanted areas., ie inside homes, schools, work places etc.
Even when people ring with a snake in their back yard it should be left alone as it is not solving the problem, they can see that snake but with in a few hundred yards around their home, (with in easy sight), there would be numerous other snakes of a number of differnt species. So as said not solving the problem. Its best for the snake and all concerned to just let it be.

I would leave any large morelia or elapids/colubrids alone if you don't have experience with them. As for small pythons there's no real good way to deal with them aside from using your hands.

To the two above me that was not the question and you did not help.
To your question the only other things I'd suggest is long pants and decent boots and depending on how long you are gong to be out lots if water.
I went out today and it's still a bit to early to find snakes for my area but we found some lace monitors
uqe6yqes.jpg
e5a2u9at.jpg

They are always good for a picture or two year round in my area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Guess you missed the part where they said they're concerned with moving wild snakes, your pants, boots and photos won't help their lack of experience and so they should be left alone imo.

To the second post behind my first post,
She is in QLD and its illeagal to catch ANY wild herp for any reason unless relocating them on a damage-mitigation permit. Your post did not help at all, except maybe help get her into trouble with the authorities.!!!!!!

Not your post Trimeresurus,
I was refering to unclewo-wo's post. In QLD what hes doing is highly illegal and a large fine can occour.

Uncle wo wo

that is what's known as a wanc err shot. Illegal in both qld and Nsw to disturb wildlife without a permit.... This includes moving off roads, positioning for photos etc. Sparks and wildfire watch these forums I suggest refrain from giving out more advice until you know the legislation a little better yourself but what would I know.

As what you said re Trim and Rob, both gave advice relevant to the op.

btw.... Snakes are out well and truly before varanids.... Your time of day will be off

amy,

Loose the snake hook.... It will get you in trouble.

Backpack with water, first aid kit, spare batteries, phone, camera, head torch, insect repellent, normal torch.

Initially unless you a well seasoned in the bush stick to the trails in np. Ideally go with a friend and tell another where your off too and when you will back.

Wear appropriate clothing and footwear (I run around in shorts and runners but my legs are used to spinifex, wait a while and calamus).

have fun, take only photos and memories and leave only footprints!

cheers
scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back