L.E.D. Night lighting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revell13

Reaction score
I was in a lighting store the other day and found they have some great little red LED lights for sale, would these be appropriate for night time light for my marbled gecko who doesn't need the heat? (especially in summer)?
Basically what I'm asking is, is there anything special about the red light in our reptile heat lights or is it that reptiles can't see anything in the red light spectrum?
Thanks in advance.

i was told it was anything in the blue purple and red spectrum...... please wait for others to comment but i have onced used red and blue undercar leds in my gecko tank and he ate fine and carried on as normal but again wait for others to comment

I have asks this question before. I think the general answers were conflicted. I was told it should be fine but to give it a go, watch the animals pupils and response to the light to see if they can see it.
Hope that helps. :)

I have made a post about red lights in the General discusion section,
Red lights are visible to reptiles... some redlights are sold as Infrared globes.
Infrared is a spectrum of light that majority of animalia incuding reptiles and humans cannot see.
So if the light gives of red light that you can see, then the lizard can see it.

Why are you not using heat at night?

I'm not using heat at night because my climate almost exactly represents that of the reptiles I'm keeping, I live in the Illawarra, and have eastern water dragons, a marbled gecko and a centralian beardie, the beardie has night heat (ceramic + thermostat) but the others don't need it, I just want to be able to watch my marbled gecko without disrupting his day/night cycle

I've tried the "moonlight" uv tube but it's much to bright and none of my reptiles responded well to it, just whilst I'm trying these globes out at the moment, the reptile one "infrared" is very orange and one of my water dragons has taken that as an excuse to bask under it even at 11:40pm and the exo terra over my gecko is a much darker red and he seams to be quite happy with it, I have used the purple night heat lights before, I think (judging on what you said about them being able to see red light) I'll find an exo terra 50w purple light.

Bugger, exo terra don't make a purple night light >.<

what about the blacklights u can buy for your car they are ultra violet and purple in color there the ones that make scorpions glow lol ... i dont think reptiles can see uv blacklight

Ikea sell awesome led lights that change from red,purple,blue,green,yellow and white they have a switch and come with four 30cm banks for $70 i use them in my bredli enclosure, perfect for night viewing and extra light in the daytime too.

I'm not using heat at night because my climate almost exactly represents that of the reptiles I'm keeping, I live in the Illawarra, and have eastern water dragons, a marbled gecko and a centralian beardie, the beardie has night heat (ceramic + thermostat) but the others don't need it, I just want to be able to watch my marbled gecko without disrupting his day/night cycle

Your beardie does not need heat at night either. They come from some pretty cold night time climates. Temps can get down to 1-2 degC in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back