last nights short road trip.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilerob

Reaction score
My wife and I dont get out at night time very often due to family commitments, but last night we had tea at my fathers place, and the kids fell asleep in the car on the way home, so we decided to take the long way home if you know what i mean. We chose to go out for a look, because it was a relatively warm humid evening, around 20degrees with just enough rain to wet the ground.
We couldnt belive the number of frogs we found. There were frogs everywhere. We were hoping to see a tiger snake after dark, which i have never ever done.
We also went looking for a carpet python, but once again missed out!!LOL
Firstly my wife photographed a stack of frogs, then i spotted and photographed a blind snake. I thought it was a legless lizard but wasnt 100% sure (obviously) so i posted a few photos of it last night and had it ID'd by gecko75 for which i am very thankful.
After the blind snake we drove for about 10 minutes before encountering a possum that was just running around playing on the road.
The last thing to get photographed for the evening (apart from a few frogs) was a koala. We get a few around here, but not a huge amount. This is only the 2nd one i can remember seeing in the headlights around here, the rest are usually around the river flats.
We only found 1 reptile for the night, and that was the blind snake, but we saw plenty of wildlife which made for a great night, and most of all i learnt something, i learnt a bit about blind snakes, which im pretty sure i may have encountered before.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• nighttrip2.jpg
    nighttrip2.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 43
  • nighttrip3.jpg
    nighttrip3.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 42
And some of the frogs that my wife photographed. I have no idea what they are, frogs are not really my thing, but my wife enjoyed photographing them, and we realise a lot of people on here love, and collect frogs, so i thought i would share them with you. Perhaps someone could shed some light onto what types of frogs they are? There certainly was a lot hopping across the damp roads last night.

Attachments

• nighttrip1.jpg
    nighttrip1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 40
  • nighttrip5.jpg
    nighttrip5.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 43
  • nighttrip6.jpg
    nighttrip6.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 46
  • nighttrip7.jpg
    nighttrip7.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 44
  • nighttrip8.jpg
    nighttrip8.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 41
Thanks MzSel. Like i said, we see them occasionally along the river flats. Until last year i hadnt seen many, but last summer i saw quite a lot, and last nights Koala was the first ive seen on the road for a very long time. I didnt know what it was!! We had only seen a wombat about 2km back up the road, and i knew straight away this wasnt another wombat, it stood too high!!LOL

haha, we had a young koala run past our tent when we were camping at Port Macquarie, they make a bloody awful noise eh! haha very cute though! Nice

You did well to take such good pics of the blind snake. They never seem to stop moving so can be difficult to photograph.

Regards,
David

Thanks guys. David, after years of photography with film SLRs and DSLRs, i have finally conceded that digital compacts are a bloody terrific invention. I used my $300 fuji to take these photos. I would never of been able to do it with the DSLR. Because the compacts have such a small sensor, there depth of field is much greater. Means its no good for getting that silky smooth out of focus background, but great for this type of photo where the subject is moving.
And you right, it didnt look like it was about to stop and take a breath!!lol

Tonksy, i will never forget the first time i heard one.LOL I said to my mate "what the bloody hell is that?"lol It sounded like somebody trying to kickstart a broken down motorbike!!!

nice pics, your frogs are Limnodynastes dumerili, Limnodynastes dumerili, Limnodynastes tasmaniensis, Litoria peroni, Limnodynastes dumerili. please correct me if I am wrong, I only got into frogs really about a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back