Learned something new that caused alarm...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B_STATS

Just learned about 'prolapsing' in pythons. And I remembered my Hatchling Jungle's first bowel movement since bringing her home. Part of her bowel came out with the waste but as I watched, wondering why this was happening it slowly withdrew back into the body. She didn't seem distressed and I haven't observed it since but now I am worried that she was hurt and all I did was wave it off as a hatchling anomaly. I cannot be sure it hasn't happened again since. I read it can be because of dehydration but I always thaw her food in hot water so they are wet when I give them to her and she always has access to a large water dish. I even spray down her enclosure every now and then to simulate rain. She is now on Hoppers and I have no idea what her first meal was before I bought her. She was bred by [Moderated] and they only offered me their license details. I bought her from the Newcastle expo in March. I also read it is uncommon in females as apparently most 'prolapses' are the male organs coming out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe approach [Moderated] with your concerns first to give them a chance of providing you the records that you wanted before posting on an open forum. I am sure that they would be more than happy to quell your concerns as well. In my opinion with the information provided I would doubt that your snake was dehydrated.

You're right. It wasn't my intention to make [Moderated] look bad. Not at all. I was just alarmed and was logged in here so I tried here first. My bad. I'm sure it was nothing they did anyway as they are experts. If anything was wrong it would be my fault.

It's normal for snakes to extrude part of the bowel when passing waste - if you read my post in the prolapse thread, you'll see it explained there. Usually it retracts quite quickly. It's nothing to worry about - it's normal. Prolapse is when it stays out and won't retract within a few minutes.

Jamie

I read about it in Caliherp's GTP prolapse thread. That's good news though! Glad she wasn't hurt :) Thankyou.

I know your initial reaction is to think the worst and want it explained immediately but probably best to post your question without the breeders details. I have read your other posts praising [Moderated] but others may not have.

I had experiences with prolapse with a feline breeding program some moons ago now. As Jamie indicated with snakes, it was a similar situation for us. It was common for young animals to prolapse to some extent with a bowel movement - it was only ever an issue that needed attention if it did not rectify itself soon after - good to learn that snakes are similar.

As for your Jungle - Is it a Cape York?.....We got one as well and probably from the same breeder. Ours is a lovely animal - eats like a horse, is growing like a weed, is as strong as an ox, and placid as a lamb! Have been contemplating upsizing to hoppers - yours sounds like it is handling them well.

If we did get them from the same breeder, don't hesitate to drop them an email. Sometimes they can take a while to get back to you but they will. I enquired and got some additional info on my girl for my records - it was not a problem.

I know your initial reaction is to think the worst and want it explained immediately but probably best to post your question without the breeders details. I have read your other posts praising [Moderated] but others may not have.
Sorry :( I'm still new to forums and still have some rules to learn regarding posting on them. I feel bad that my post came across as negative toward the breeders. Not my intention at all.

I had experiences with prolapse with a feline breeding program some moons ago now. As Jamie indicated with snakes, it was a similar situation for us. It was common for young animals to prolapse to some extent with a bowel movement - it was only ever an issue that needed attention if it did not rectify itself soon after - good to learn that snakes are similar.

As for your Jungle - Is it a Cape York?.....We got one as well and probably from the same breeder. Ours is a lovely animal - eats like a horse, is growing like a weed, is as strong as an ox, and placid as a lamb! Have been contemplating upsizing to hoppers - yours sounds like it is handling them well.

If we did get them from the same breeder, don't hesitate to drop them an email. Sometimes they can take a while to get back to you but they will. I enquired and got some additional info on my girl for my records - it was not a problem.

Hey we could have! Yeah she's a Capey. They were on sale at the expo and as soon as I saw her I knew I had to get her :p She was real quiet all curled up while the others were exploring. Best natured little snake. Looks like we lucked out though as my brother got one too but his turned out to be from the Devil ha ha.

They are nice snakes. A fellow NCHG member from here also bought one and it is a pussycat also!

How is yours handling the hoppers?....am thinking of upsizing mine next feed

They are nice snakes. A fellow NCHG member from here also bought one and it is a pussycat also!

How is yours handling the hoppers?....am thinking of upsizing mine next feed

Putting them away with ease :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back