Legless lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

junglepython2

Does anyone know what price both Burton's and any of the insectivorous legless lizards go for? Either singles or pairs. Also anyone know at what age if at all they can be reliably sexed?

Any help appreciated.

the one for sale on petlink is a fair price if thats what your asking(they are pretty rare). i swapped 1 of mine for 5 red phase beardies.i got a hooded scaley foot for 80 bucks but be prepared to to pay upto 250. hope that helps a bit

Very few people keep them, and even fewer breed them. Best to check the Victorian petshops for illegally poached legless lizards (alongside the illegally poached geckos and dragons or illegally imported pythons), as they come in sometimes.

Please ignore my sweeping generalisations regarding VIctorian petshops.

-H

Very few people keep them, and even fewer breed them. Best to check the Victorian petshops for illegally poached legless lizards (alongside the illegally poached geckos and dragons or illegally imported pythons), as they come in sometimes.
Please ignore my sweeping generalisations regarding VIctorian petshops. -H

Thanks Nephrurus, I'm well aware of the local pet shops and where they source their animals from I'm afraid.:x I would be looking at purchasing from a breeder if at all possible even if it costs a bit more.

the one for sale on petlink is a fair price if thats what your asking(they are pretty rare). i swapped 1 of mine for 5 red phase beardies.i got a hooded scaley foot for 80 bucks but be prepared to to pay upto 250. hope that helps a bit

Thanks Herpie Boy I did see that one on petlink, but I won't be after them for a couple more months. $80 for a scaley foot seem like an absolute bargain!

So does anyone know at what age they can be sexed?
</IMG>

Few pics for ya mate.

There pretty awesome little things. Wish they would eat crickets.. be popular as!

Attachments

• burtons_815.jpg
    burtons_815.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 109
  • burtons2_673.jpg
    burtons2_673.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 91
  • legless_copy_178.jpg
    legless_copy_178.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 96
  • legless3_copy_212.jpg
    legless3_copy_212.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 93
Thanks Pugs, I had no idea they came in the colour(s) of those last two pics, roughly what loaction where they if you don't mind me asking?

You can get different colour variations of burtons within the same location, they come in all shades of brown from chocolate to tan, grey, red, yellow,& cream without or with stripes, they are also the most widespread Australian reptile, living everywhere exluding Tas, the majority of vic and the southern tip of WA. They are closely related to Geckos and lay two eggs at a time.

Burtons will probably never establish in captivity, unless someone comes up with a technique of force- or assist-feeding them on food other than lizards. There have certainly been cases of individuals which over time have been conditioned to take pink mice, but that still doesn't solve the problem of raising hatchlings.

Sexing legless lizards is a challenge. On Pygopus it seems like the size of the hindlimb flap as well as the presence of a spur beneath the flap in males may be the key. I have not yet played around with enough Delmas or other genera to see if this technique works for all Pygopods however.

I see the captive breeding of Pygopods as one of the next big challenges for adventurous reptile keepers. I know a few guys who are working with P. nigriceps, and I wish them all the best.

Certainly as captive specimens the insect eaters, particularly those that live above ground (as opposed to litter dwellers etc) are fantastic. Highly active, excellent feeders, reasonably long-lived (Pygopus nigriceps lives for over 10 years).

I hope they become better represented in captivity in the future, as people nut out the tricks in breeding them.

Burtons will probably never establish in captivity, unless someone comes up with a technique of force- or assist-feeding them on food other than lizards. There have certainly been cases of individuals which over time have been conditioned to take pink mice, but that still doesn't solve the problem of raising hatchlings.

Sexing legless lizards is a challenge. On Pygopus it seems like the size of the hindlimb flap as well as the presence of a spur beneath the flap in males may be the key. I have not yet played around with enough Delmas or other genera to see if this technique works for all Pygopods however.

I see the captive breeding of Pygopods as one of the next big challenges for adventurous reptile keepers. I know a few guys who are working with P. nigriceps, and I wish them all the best.

Certainly as captive specimens the insect eaters, particularly those that live above ground (as opposed to litter dwellers etc) are fantastic. Highly active, excellent feeders, reasonably long-lived (Pygopus nigriceps lives for over 10 years).

I hope they become better represented in captivity in the future, as people nut out the tricks in breeding them.

The paracloacal spur is suitable for sexing all species and makes sexing quite easy. I have used it on my Paradelma, Delma, Pygopus and Lialis

Awesome Dan, thanks for the tip. I never have enough hands to operate a torch, hand lens and wrangle the animal at the same time when I find Delmas, and all the captive ones i've seen have been female (or so I have presumed, since they've not had the spur).

Keeping with the theme of this thread, can you share any of your experience with Lialis? Feeding is obviously the key to keeping them. How do you keep them fed, and have you had any breeding success?

Also, aren't Paradelma a threatened species? How did you score them? It would be a real priveledge to be able to do some captive work with that species. Have you found them easy to keep?

I am hoping to do some work with Delma nasuta. I suspect they are pretty easy to breed, so I am just trying to source the animals now. Perhaps you have already bred this species?

i really want some common and hooded scaly foots, awsome pics there bullock, as always, any info on keeping them???

Thanks Moosey.

I don't keep them Luke.

Try geckodan for that info. I think there amazing and would keep them if they ate crickets!

One of the best things about Burtons is that they are highly variable. I've attached some pics of the variation that can be found just in the vicinity of Alice Springs. I think the last animal with the bronze and the vivid striping is the best form, but probably the one that makes me most excited when I find one is the reddish-orange form. They really catch your attention.

Attachments

• Alice Springs 1.jpg
    Alice Springs 1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Alice Springs 2.jpg
    Alice Springs 2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Alice Springs 3.jpg
    Alice Springs 3.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Alice Springs 4.jpg
    Alice Springs 4.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 85
Hi ,
Here are some pics of my burtons that readily accepts dead pinkies. It took a couple of years of assist feeding before she would take pinkies on her own. I havent bred the species but I have raised hatchings that I bought on pinky tails and legs. They are possible to raise but it requires alot of time and patience. Some people like the challenge

Attachments

• sasa animals 013.jpg
    sasa animals 013.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 139
  • sasa animals 012.jpg
    sasa animals 012.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 133
o thats totally wicked sracthy, they are my favourite form of the burtons, i wish i had one even more so like that one of yours, have you got a male doing tohe samething???

A local Adelaide dealer had a Yellow coloured L.burtonis available for $300 that was apparently weaned onto small crickets. Was a stunning animal but the enclosure floor was covered in dead crickets so not sure if the animal actually ate the crickets.

yea, thats hard to tell without seeing it. anyway i think scaly foots are awsome...but its getting them.
has anyone got anypics, im liking this thread.................or any more care info?

A local Adelaide dealer had a Yellow coloured L.burtonis available for $300 that was apparently weaned onto small crickets. Was a stunning animal but the enclosure floor was covered in dead crickets so not sure if the animal actually ate the crickets.

Perhaps they meant it was weeing on crickets? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back