Let's talk Possums!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done research on possum relocation. In a nutshell it doesnt work. When a possum is moved from their territory, whether it be 1/2 km or more thay normally develop a stress dermatitis that ends up so bad that it can envelop eyes, its a slow and painful death. If you have a possum in your roof put a nestbox up near the hole in the roof. During the day close the hole. Bloody simple really.

In SA It is a legal requirement that ANY possums caught in a trap must be released with 50metres of its capture site.
If it was a male it will now have to compete with a new terriotory with possibly a resident male.

I saw a thing on possums on a current affair the other night, people were winging about possums, calling them pests, saying we need to get rid of them. I couldn't beleive it. I hate this show.

It's very cute, but I didn't know brush-tailed possums had a little grip on the end of their tails (similar to the ring tails). You can see the little pink & white end in one of the pics.

I have heard as well that if you relocate them, they usually get picked on by other possums in the area, and will either be driven out of fought with to such an extent that they die.

Hopefully the little critter will be fine though :)

I saw a thing on possums on a current affair the other night, people were winging about possums, calling them pests, saying we need to get rid of them. I couldn't beleive it. I hate this show.

And Brush tailed possums are pests in some areas of Australia. Like K.I for example. They take all the nesting holes from endangered birds like the Glossy Black Cockatoo, and they eat the eggs and chicks besides. Even koalas are feral to most of Australia, they used to only live in the south-eastern corner.

Just a few I have had in my care. They are gorgeous and nyou tend to get so attached, it sucks when you ahve to release them.

Attachments

• 100_0067 - Copy.jpg
    100_0067 - Copy.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Image005 - Copy.jpg
    Image005 - Copy.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Image006 - Copy.jpg
    Image006 - Copy.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg