light fittings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1woma

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im going to be converting a piece of furniture into an enclosure ( fingers crossed lol) im just trying to work out costs now......my question is i have read an article by southern cross reptiles that says a woma needs a 75 watt infared light/heat source. Do i just use a normal light fitting to run one of these????

i'll apologise now coz this is probably the first of many questions:oops:

Yes, just make sure u use a screw in fitting (edison) not bayonet as almost all reptile products are edison fittings.

You'll need a ceramic mount, with an Edison screw fitting. The usual plastic ones quickly become very brittle when exposed to constant heat, and most of the globes are Edison screw type.

Jamie

Thanks heaps...... i had seen light fittings at the pet store they are only about $26 so not as expensive as i thought

If you go to an electrical sales place you can probably get the same things for $6-$8!

Jamie

If you go to an electrical sales place you can probably get the same things for $6-$8!

Jamie

Agreed. I was so surprised how much cheaper they were at a proper electrical place.
Also I hate to be "that guy" but you really need it installed or at least certified by an electrician. So make friends with one who will only charge mates rates :)

remember the size/wattage of the bulb required will depend on your enclosure dimensions and amount of ventilation. for example my womas are in 1200 long but only 450 high enclosures so 40-50w bulbs are plenty (in Qld), in my case a 75w would be a massive overkill. it may be a bit of trial and error until you get it right, remember you will most likely need a thermostat to control the heat, or prevent your snake from being cooked.

jamie, i have run plastic (clipsal type) es light fittings for 3 or more years in a number of enclosures with 24/7 heat for the most part of the year and they have been fine (though nothing is above 50w and on dimming stats). i pull them out a few times per year to check them and the wiring, not a sign at all that they have become brittle.

thanks everyone.... the ones im lookin at are already wired and looks like they should plug straight into the dimming thermostat i have ordered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back