Lighting/Heating in enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggster

Reaction score
I've been meaning to put basking lamps in my snake enclosures for ages, but my little Diamond python is complaining about lack of basking spots, so I thought I better do something about it.
Only problem I have is that all the 'reptile' branded light clamps are $50+, which seems a bit much... I'd be willing to get them if there was no other option, but I would like to save a bit of money...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/nelson-150w-portable-security-flood-light_p4370249

I was wondering if this would be alright if i replaced the globe with a heat globe? I wouldn't be sure on how to go about installing them inside the enclosures, so I was thinking about having them on the outside aiming inwards.

Any other suggestions you guys have that won't kill the bank? Thanks

One thing to be careful of when using those is if the enclosure has glass you will run the risk of cracking if the heat is aimed at the glass. I had this happen with a 6'x2'x2' fishtank made with 10mm glass housing a pair of Sand Monitors many years ago.

if you have a mesh top you will be fine you may need to build something up so the snake can get near to the heat. pics of enclosure will help

Why use a light clamp?
Unless as suggested above you have a glass enclosure/fishtank style set up.

Might be worth looking at building a melamine enclosure and fitting with some std light fittings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back