Little green usage indicator thingy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
The green usage indicator below our names seems to be causing some people to post non-relevant articles to the forum.

I for one would like to see it go.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

hey

Is this because of me lastnight?
i like it so we should keep it!
i'll neva do that again!!!!!!!!!! :!:

It would have been a good idea if it could be used properly and not encourage flooding of forum posts. Perhaps we could have under 1s name the amount of years they have kept reptiles.This would then show the experience of the person without any competition occuring.That way we also know we are getting information from people who have owned such n such for however many years Or maybe even the length of them being an aps member? Could also be an option in there profiles perhaps.

Just a sugestion S.J what do you think?

But what's to stop people lying about how long they've been keeping? Or mis-interpreting the question? (May I draw your attention to the Poll done on the main page about how long people have been keeping.) :?
It's a good idea though, I for one keep forgetting how long all these different people have been in the hobby. :)

Could always get SJ to take the points off anyone who abuses it and lock any offending threads.For the record I voted "dont care"

If that was to be the case, then there would be a certain visitor to this site who would be on -32 posts!! What would that make him - a haploid gamete??

Yea I agree there vat69 but I personally (as would many others im sure)would like to know the experience of the people giving us advice. I guess there will always be the fakes out there but anyone that has a true passion for the hobby and the forum should be honest enough to tell the truth.And after awhile of using the forums we should be able to spot the fakers from the realists.

As sugested earlier perhaps noting the date a user had joined aps on there profile or something.

Ok, changed my mind once again.
I agree with Mark, get rid of the things apart from some moderators and the Administrators.

:)

Hey Cyber - excellent idea! I don't know how difficult this would be for SJ to set up, or even if he's willing to do so, but a registry of the date we started herping linked to/replacing the post rate indicator is a great idea!

Oh yes, and Mat_011, your posting frenzy DID prompt me to post the thread, but it was a problem long before you came along. :wink:

Happy to see you're settling down a bit now - it's appreciated by all, I'm sure. There's nothing wrong with being a newbie and asking relevant questions. Most of us are in the same boat! :lol: - we're learning all the time from each other.

How about the date of issue on your first reptile keeper's licence??
Then all that crap about owning a bluey tongue at age 5 or cathing garden skinks at age 3 can't be included??

Then again, that doesn't show continuous keeping.
I read on Dave Barkers website:

"One 'snake-year' of experience equals the full-time maintenance of one snake for a period of one year." Dave Barker

We could try using that system??

I dunno Nic, I mean there's people on KS who do that..and some've only been keeping for a couple of years..but because they've got the money to go out and buy losts of snakes they've apparently got all this experience.I understand that they DO have experience, having worked with many different species,but I think it'll detract from the people who've been keeping for years, but not with many animals, compared to the newer keepers with more animals. :?
I hope that makes sense...Lol :)

vat69 that is a great point.
And it brings up the topic who has more experience?
Some1 thats owned 2 carpets for 12yrs or little timmy thats owned 14 different species for 3 years?

The person that owned the most species may be better equipped to answer a variety of topics,But the 1st person may have studied and read enough to know as much as little timmy.I guess no matter what there will always be competition and ego.

Maybe my ideas wernt so good lol

There are arguments both for and against all this stuff going. I for one voted don't care as I usually check out any advice that I am given, that sounds right, from a few different sources before putting it into practice. This comes from when I first kept herps and lost a whole batch of eggs due to following incorrect advice obtained on the web.

Really though, all said and done I don't visit this site to boost my ego in the experience dept.

I come here as a enjoy the company of others who share the same intrests as myself, and to seek advice when it's needed. I couldn't really care less whether my green bar was 1 or 1,000. I'm soon going to be able to tell whether someone with 80 posts has valuable input or relevent questions to ask from the response that they get from their posts.

Valid points cheap scotch and cyber...
With any system there may be some skewing of results.
I tend to not worry about the numbers at all, but have developed a respect for individual members and know who's advice I find most useful..

I always try and give incorrect advice at least twice a week. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back