Lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manray

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a Lizard for my son. (61/2 yr old)
But i am unsure which would be the best kind to get for us/him.
I would get one from a young age for us all to adapt and grow together.
Any advise on which would be the best kind would be wonderful.
Thanks, Mandy.

i would think about a bearded dragon or bluetongue , bluetongues are probably more forgiving of rough handling

A Common Garden Skink.. :p LOL NO.. Get a blue tongue or sumthing there easy to look after

Yeah beardies are great!! I wouldn't get a hatchling or very small one due to your sons age. Maybe go juvi or sub-adult. They are still young but big enough to hold without worrying about hurting the little thing or having it run from him. They are easy to look after and very entertaining. They have great personalities and your son will love them!!

Beardies are awesome but I would keep an on your son when he is handling it

Bearded dragon or Blue tongue I would go with the blue tongue but its up to you!

Blue tongues are definitely one of the easier lizards to keep for beginners

Plus they seem to be just that little bit hardier than beardeds.

I have a 5 year old who wanted a lizard for his birthday so I did my research and I found that beardies and bluies are very similar with looking after them. We ended up with a beardie and we got it when it was about 2 months (not even that) and my son is really good with it gentle and loves it to bits... Although he had a choice and he did pick a blue tongue but I really love beardeds so I told him at Christmas he can have a blue tongue and he can give me his bearded (his very happy with that idea)
As long as you help him and show him what to do you'll both be fine, both of my boys help me feed Frank

Attachments

• phone 154.jpg
    phone 154.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 74
i'd get a beardie, theyre so much fun!

then again i'm biased since i've never kept blueys,....

This is a hard decision, We were thinking Bluey or Beardy.
But now im still confused. Thanks for your help everyone.
My son is very gentle with animals when it comes to them and he wont be just picking it up at an time.
Blueys are easy to feed, every 2 to 3 days i have found, and they are slow, But also heard they are very vicious and cranky.
Beardies are very active and playful making it hard to stay still to hold them, but love company and i am not sure about the food, everyday i think.
Is this True?

hey,
I've kept both blueys and beardies (I have 2 central beardies and 2 eastern beardies at the moment) and i'd say beardies would be more interesting and better suited for your son (just in my opinion though). Blueys were hard to feed i thought, always had to found snails (we dont have many around here) and they didnt eat many other things. I looked after them for a few weeks for a friend while he was away. They were pretty fun to keep though

ive had central beardies for a year and 1/4, since they were 2 wks old and theyre awesome i reckon. They have heaps of characteristics and they look pretty cool. They do the 'head bobs' and arm waves and stuff aswell (today mine got his beard out for the first time). They eat crickets, roaches, a lot of vegetables (iceburg lettuce, carrot, broccoli, snow peas, and heaps more) and also mealworms. I got a pair of eastern beardies a few weeks ago (theyre bout 6 yrs old) and theyre pretty cool too, though they dont eat vegies as well and they dont look as good.

Both are great to keep, but i like beardies more. - just my opinion.
i have a few pics on my profile of my beardies if u want to see them.. and if you need any help just message me.

Riley

while theyre babies beardies need live food 1-3 times a day, once theyre adults mine get live food once a week and the rest is salad,..they get salad most days with a day of 2 with nothing here and there,...

adult beardies are fine to sit on u for hours, my boy heads straight from my hair and snugggles in.

as ive said, i've never kept blueys, but from what i've read if theyre not handled most days tehy get a bit cranky.

the live food for the beardies is a bit of a pain in the bum,..but well worth it! :p

Thanks everyone for your help. Much apprieciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back