Local pet shop's price of frozen rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky27

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

This is really just to vent my frustration a bit after a trip this morning to the local pet shop to pick up some rats for our little stimmi. Now, I've never actually bought rats from the pet shop as we have a reliable breeder who usually supplies us with quality, cheap food. As he is temporarily unavailable, we had to take a visit to the pet sop instead. I didn't realise until today though, just how much of a rip off, the pet shop actually is! The charged me $8 per small rat!!! I've never paid more than $2 from our supplier and I'm so angry that I actually paid them for 3 rats! But my girl has to eat... What can you do!? Needless to say, I won't be back there again. Bloody petshops!! >=(

yeah pretty expensive i have to get my rats from a petshop:(
expensive as $14 for 1 80-120 gram rat, and 19 dollars for a 3 pack of weanling rats lol i have 14 snakes so the costs add up oh well what can ya do..

That's a rip off. Did you consider ordering them online and freighting them. Some of the sponsers do door to door delivery and it only takes a few days from payment to doorstep.

Last edited:
That's a rip off. Dud you consider ordering them online and firefighting them. Some of the sponser do door to door delivery and it only takes a few days from payment to doorstep.
Thats probably the best auto-correct ive ever seen.. LOL.

Thats probably the best auto-correct ive ever seen.. LOL.

Stupid phone. Lol. There we go all fixed. I have no idea how it went from freighting to firefighting. Althought I would love to see people firefighting rodents :)

Last edited:
Its a difficult argument, pet shops do need to make there money somewhere, its not cheap to run one and remember when your buying off a breeder directly your getting wholesale price whereas when buying from a petshop your 3rd in line and buying it at a retail price. My local petshop sells small rats for about $4. Just ask around

lol also the petshop i get them from breeds their rats.....

If u ask around there r heaps of people Breading and supplying...u just need to spend alitle more say couple months worth of food 100 bucks or so to get um interested...most bulk suppliers dont want people asking for a couple here or there (so stock up and save )
thumbup.gif

$2 for a small adult rat is good. Breeding rats takes alot of time with no gain of money the prices of rodents simply pay off bedding and food

I buy from a breeder and I agree petshop prices are steep $21 for 5 weener mice yes I agree they need to make money to clear profits but I would perfer to give breeder the money direct so they can maintain the health and production of their animals and lively hood.

i own 29 pythons so i know how much it costs to feed them. i use to buy from my locale petshop but was pay $150-$200 and over just to feed them for a fortnight. so i found a locale breeder who breeds rats and only supplies me as he is not a big breeder and he sells me large adult rats for $2.50 only if i but bulk otherwise he charges $4 so i now spend $40-$80 max a fornight.

yeah pretty expensive i have to get my rats from a petshop:(
expensive as $14 for 1 80-120 gram rat, and 19 dollars for a 3 pack of weanling rats lol i have 14 snakes so the costs add up oh well what can ya do..
so thats whats in your avatar :) its a picture of all the money you have to hand over to the pet shop every time you visit ;)

so thats whats in your avatar :) its a picture of all the money you have to hand over to the pet shop every time you visit ;)

ha ha lol if i did that i would probably just buy the petstore

A pet store I went into not so long ago had a "jumbo" rat priced at $27.00. I about had a heart-attack. Then just the other day, pet store chain I go to... I saw the same-sized rat for $31.00. The lady behind the counter gave me a very dirty look when I asked if the rat comes with potato and gravy for that price.

another good idea is to find a farmer or somone who breeds chickens, i have a mate who owns his own farm and breeds chickens. so i get about 100 and c02 gas them myself. but i would not use chickens as a staple diets so i buy rats mainly but once every 4-6 weeks i rive to his farm and pick up 100 - 130.

There is a difference between a petshop covering costs and a bit of profit to a straight out rip off .I spend $300 + every few weeks from local breeders and that gives me a big supply .I got caught out one time by not checking i had enough in the freezer for feeds so had no choice but to go to the local pet shop . 6 what were marked as large rats (not) cost me $109 .Not a bad mark up to cover costs and a bit of profit hey and i know they were coming straight from one of the local breeders that i was using so yes their prices are classic rip offs .

just going off track here, how come you feed your stimi rats? Being smaller snakes i thought adult mice would be the way to go.
Are small rats better for them than adult mice?

I'm only asking this out of curiosity - i'm no way having a go at you for feeding a stimi a rat :) Just curious as to why. If rats are better for the snake than mice, i too will feed my stimi's rats :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back