Locality specific species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Greetings,

I would be interested in contacting people with locality specific, pure line reptiles. I don’t mean “Julatten carpets, MDs, Mt. Isa black-headeds, etc.. I am referring to species such as rough-scaled pythons, native greens, Black Mountain geckos (and the skinks), Chappell Island tiger snakes (and many others) that came from a single, small, isolated populations and therefore the localities of their origins are unquestionable.

I feel that the way this reptile keeping hobby is heading, many locality specific species may be lost in years to come due to cross-breeding, inbreeding and morphing.
This is NOT an attempt to form a group of purists to fly the flag or to become a separate body, distant from the rest. The idea is to do “something” to preserve our wildlife heritage (natural morphs) currently kept in private collections well into the future.
Of course the big question is – how do we know if our lines are pure and haven’t been already contaminated. Lets leave that issue aside for now and lets find out first what your thoughts are on the concept.

If you don’t have any locality specific species or have no interest in this issue, please don’t comment.

Cheers
Michael

concept is a good one , good luck with it , I think Punja had some chappel island tigers
and i know sturdy has a large collection of elapids

It's just as easy for snakes from isolated localities to be crossed with other localities once in captivity and passed off as one or the other.

"If you don’t have any locality specific species or have no interest in this issue, please don’t comment."

ditto

I`d be interested to see whats out there unfortunately though because of thefts and things happening alot of people wont say what they`ve got.

Sorry ? I do have locality animals and I do have an interest in keeping them.

My comment still stands.

Kris.

Sorry ? I do have locality animals and I do have an interest in keeping them.

My comment still stands.

Kris.

OK, why didn't you say so and expand on it a bit? Your previous comment was rather negative.

Your a bit late mate ,this would have been much easier if done years ago.

cheers.

Last edited:
I'm surprised. I'm married to the man, and know he can be absolutely negative on a great many occasions and even I didn't pick that for a negative comment. It's a statement of fact. There are no more constrictions on being able to hybridise locale specific animals from isolated locations than there are on any other locale type once they're in collections.

Since I can see you have a vested interest in keeping this all warm and fuzzy, you may want to reconsider the assumption that anyone who posts and doesn't state their name, business and species kept is posting worthlessly. I personally found your first post quite negative in tone, but am quite prepared to look beyond that and assume you didn't mean it that way.

As we're taking a role call before considering opinions; my name is Kersten, I keep animals which I believe to be locality specific, I am probably even more of a purist than Kris (if that's possible), and I don't think it's really possible anymore to be 100% sure of the locale of any animal unless you've caught them. Sad, but true.

I think in a perfect world locality animals are great. But IMO it just encourages poaching.

I keep a few stimmies of WA origin, Collected buy 2 of the best collectors in Wa and i trust them as to the locality of the animals 100%.

Unfortunately, many are missing the point. I never asked who has got what, what's pure or what isn't.
The idea was to test the ground and see what people think about this very ambitious, maybe impossible mission. Ideas would be welcome, irrelevant comments and suspicious cynicism will lead nowhere.

well I think keeping and breeding locale specific animals in captivity is a very important thing. With all the habitat destruction going on it may eventually be the only way we can see these animals the way theyre supposed to be.

Iv got a couple of Darwin locale Oedurea Marmorata fluro orange fat tails
(hatchling on my avatar)
The person i got them of has a proven breeding pair for sale

I think your idea has merit and i like it.

But to be honest unless your collection has come from W/C animals, legally obtained through permits or their offspring from people like Reedy's Reptiles in the NT and Pilbara's Pythons in WA you can't be 100%.
That is why alot of my collection has been sourced through these guys. I like some of the morphs being produced but 95% of my collection is pure locality animals.

Also trusted breeders that have locale animals like the line of SW QLD stimmies that i got from Trueblue a few seaons ago that can be traced back to WC animals from Clayton Knights line.

It all comes down to proof or 100% trust, and if you can't trust the breeder you source your animals from don't buy them.

theres a few things I`ve got my eye on when they are available, also aussie greens when and if I can afford them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back