long time no talky, but after some help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile182

Reaction score
Hey,

Its been a while since I last posted on here, a few months, been very busy. My stimson Kakoda is going good, had a bit of an issue in the past month or so with not eating, found out hes been staying down the cooler end of his enlosure, even tho its only 2 degrees lower it stopped him eating, put him into his click clack under the heat lamp, fixed the problem good.

Well its finally time for another python, and im after a coastal, Ive reaserched it heaps, but theres a few questions i still have.

Ive read and know of people having them in outside enclosures, i can not find a single thing online about how this is done, its confusing, i need details, such as, how are they built, what are they made of, where abouts in yard are they best out as im not sure how they would have a cool or hot area.

Ive noticed that they need enclosures that are kind of high for climbing, even tho I have read in the wiki that they dont really need to. My original plan was to by a 6x2x2 enclosure and have my tv unit sit on it, space is of min at the moment, 2 houses worth of furniture in one house. Im not sure if I want to go and modify furniture again, my last time turned out to be hell. But im guessing itskinda pricey buying one big enough?

Ok, I was thinking of buying an older coastal, well not old, prob about a year, maybe six months, reason is that I want one feeding well, and has some size. Just two more questions, Is this a good idea or should i go younger? and I guess at this age a medium sized click clack should be ok til i figure out what i want with an enclosure should it not? lol

Anyway any help would be great, I want this to much easier to do then with kakoda, he was easy to get, enclosure not so much. Thanks heaps

I was sitting here wodering why I had no replies, then I read over my post, my spelling and grammar has gone out the window. It must be a deterent.:(

uh, medium size being how big?

you can keep them in click clacks till they're about a year - 1 and a half

40 litre or so im guessing, a year would be heaps of time to sort out another enclosure, im really thinking of going that way, then enclosure would be set up right. another question cme to mind, I would like the enclosure to be natural looking, what sort of habitate would suit? as in a dryish looking setting, rainforesty. Rocky, or bark type hides that sort of thing?

make it look like the inside of peoples' roofs cos thats pretty much the only place i have ever found them:) LOL

lol i dunno a nice hollow log with barky substrate i'd say. too much cage furniture makes them to hard to remove and in my opinion they get very cage protective when they have loads of climbing sticks etc.

just a nice log for a hide, and a big water dish for swimming. waterproof the inside if its timber to help keep hygenic

Ok, thanks for that, gave me a good idea, and yeah i agree with them being har to get our with too much junk, my first mistake with my little stimson. Still have other questions up for sale here lol?

which questions? im confused by your lack of spelling and grammar...

;)

Coastal

This Is What My 10mth Old Coastal Female Lives In. It's 57cm Height And 44cm In Width And 44cm In Depth.

Attachments

• tara 027.jpg
    tara 027.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 49
oh, i dont like the idea of outside enclosures because of the whole disease thing. and mites etc. thats just my opinion though.

either a bird aviary with small chicken wire i think or a pit... but thats sooooooooooooo much effort

You can keep them in avairies you just need to make sure there are no sharp bits or gaps to squeeze through. You may also need some heating if it doesnt get enough sun but generally they wont need it.

If you keep reptiles outside they are more likely to get parasites but IMO animals kept outside are less likely to have problems with them.

ok thanks for your help, I think im going to go with an inside enclosure, but just so i can get time to decide will just have him in a click clack, knowing me it wont take long for me to go nuts and put one up anyway. All i need is the python and a heatmate really

well im sure there are plenty of coastals in the for sale section :)
as for a heat mat, there may be some there, if not the best price is always to buy online :)

as for the cage, atleast 2x2x3, but that may be pushing it (for fully grown) Patonthego's cage is a little small, and may need to be upsized when the snake is bigger.

oh, i dont like the idea of outside enclosures because of the whole disease thing. and mites etc. thats just my opinion though.

either a bird aviary with small chicken wire i think or a pit... but thats sooooooooooooo much effort

I would be too paranoid about neighbours seeing them and things being stolen!!

As long as a snake has heat, a cool spot, places to hide, water and food you will find that they will be happy to live in plastic tubs for a long time (imo anyway)...as long as they are big enough.
And I think with the outside enclousures as long as you have an animal that is from your locality (ie occurs naturally in your area) and you make sure they have shade, get sunlight, hides, water, food and protection from stresses and attacks of other animals you'll be right.
But I'm still a newb though...

thanks again for the help, but yeah The_Guy, is your measurments in metres? thats huge. I read 1200Lx600hx600w, or in Feet, 4x4x2. read that on wiki, online and in magazines. Is this true?

as for the cage, atleast 2x2x3, but that may be pushing it (for fully grown) Patonthego's cage is a little small, and may need to be upsized when the snake is bigger.

I don't think either of these sizes come close to what is required - as a young snake you will be fine with a large-ish click-clack type tub...as an adult you will need a MINIMUM of 4x2x2...a bit larger would be even better...

...particularly if you have the intention of setting up the enclosure as a display enclosure a bigger setup will look better...

...in regards to younger or older snakes - it is really personal preference - many people will recommend something around the yearling mark as it has an established feeding history etc etc - provided you get a hatchling that you can guarantee has been feeding you shouldn't have a problem with that either...however, these smaller snakes will need to start off in a smaller tub before going straight into the large enclosure...

ok im pretty sure your talking in feet, if so thats what im looking for, prob 4x4x2, or maybe bit bigger, maybe 6f, and yeah click clack would only be till have figure out how to set up an enclosure

I am definately talking in feet...4x4x2 would make an excellent display enclosure...

Ahhh the relief. I can make this work.:D

Ok now i can get into looking for a python, and finding a place for an enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back