Looking for some ideas on ven. species to start off with

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that Bandy bandys are really rare in captivity. was this rubbish? They said there was only 6?

Well.... that part about commonly kept and bred is the kicker..... but I have found DeVis Bandeds a pleasure to keep... mine are mating daily atm, though they did last year for nil results, I have changed their enclosure and heating ect... fingers crossed.

I envy you! hoping at least one of my males will breed with my female. Great snakes, feeding wise i guess some people may have problems

I envy you! hoping at least one of my males will breed with my female. Great snakes, feeding wise i guess some people may have problems
Getting them to feed is only one of the problems involve in keeping class one elapids.

Haven't had other problems as of yet, only feeding.
The main problem is getting good animals to start with and if possible captive bred ( I never found feeding a problem with any class one elapids that i have kept but a lot of people have trouble raising even class 2 elapids ) ....... Also not all class one elapids will take pinkies on a weekly bases some will never take pinkies unless force fed and a lot are full of parasites and you are normally trying to fix other peoples mistakes hence the reason why (some not all ) sell there animals . I am just saying there are other issues to take into account has these animals are normally not cheap and are not really good for someone with little or no experience and can take the joy out of owning a snake very quickly ........ Its good yours are going well Hodges hope you and Jason L have luck breeding them it would be good to see some more out there.

Blind snakes........... But most people just pinkie pump them.

haha, yeah Jamie, I was just interested in what legally obtain food source they were "hunting"... If I breed the DeVis, that will be the pride and joy of the year.. I gave up alot of other things to work on these guys.. might take a few years but I'm a persistant bugger when I decide to do something ;)

haha, yeah Jamie, I was just interested in what legally obtain food source they were "hunting"... If I breed the DeVis, that will be the pride and joy of the year.. I gave up alot of other things to work on these guys.. might take a few years but I'm a persistant bugger when I decide to do something ;)
Good luck i hope the hard work pays off for you .. look forward to seeing some baby picts in the near future.

Thanks jamgo, getting them feeding would be whole lot more satisfying then them breeding, at least ive got one smashing pinkies

Cheers for all the input everyone - the reason I am considering "slightly venomous" over "mildly venomous" and "Highly venomous" is more due to just a safer way of getting used to the different method of keeping and of course handling with a snake that if I do make a mistake and get tagged in my early days, it isnt going to end up a epic hospital excursion and follow up drama. I know the idea is to avoid getting bitten to start with, but well, I just feel a little better about the way I'm approaching it if I at least take it step by step rather than doing the whole "I know everything and am invincible" thing...

Oh and just checked out some pics of Devis Banded's - haven't actually heard of them before now i'm embarrassed to say! But they look interesting - would like to hear about it if someone does end up breeding a clutch this year :)

To be really honest (as has been stated already), your best bet might be the red bellied black snake. Not a majorly life-threatening species...although you might lose a digit or two from a particularly bad bite from a sub-adult :lol:...but you're not going to die from one! BONUS! :p

I'm not the be-all and end-all of venomous snake keepers, in fact I'm probably one of the least experienced around here. The difference is, if you keep something you know can do you some harm (or hurt like hell, like a red belly can) you'll be taking every perceivable caution to ensure careless accidents don't happen. The fact is also this, as the saying goes, if you’re going to play with fire you can expect at some stage you're going to get burned. For me personally I’m always backing my opinion that it’ll be a slight singe rather than a 3rd degree burn :lol:

My other bit of advice is that you should get something that's young. At that rate you can develop your skills with a growing animal. Amazing to the level they settle down after continual contact!....then you're back at square one again...you've become complacent! :lol: ;)

Adders ceratinly aren't an option for you, they'll teach you nothing except how to balance one on a hook.

The fact is also this, as the saying goes, if you’re going to play with fire you can expect at some stage you're going to get burned.

So many people buy elapids not thinking this... get bitten and then sell up....... thats why I will never own anything worse than a RBB... I'm happy to deal with pain, not death.

So many people buy elapids not thinking this... get bitten and then sell up....... thats why I will never own anything worse than a RBB... I'm happy to deal with pain, not death.

:lol: That is sort of me, but I've put my levels in "grades of death" :lol: ...I've quietly put a line through (although wavering) Eastern Browns and Taipans. The Tiger snakes, Colletts, Copperhead and Death Adder all have lame excuses behind them as to why I should keep them :lol: :lol:

:lol: That is sort of me, but I've put my levels in "grades of death" :lol: ...I've quietly put a line through (although wavering) Eastern Browns and Taipans. The Tiger snakes, Colletts, Copperhead and Death Adder all have lame excuses behind them as to why I should keep them :lol: :lol:

Yeah, the old "ahh, I'll never get bitten by one of them" excuse?

Thats always been my veiwpoint until now too - kinda along the lines of "why play with fire and keep something that is potentially going to kill me - is there a good enough reason that i NEED to keep one?" - and well, there isn't. Thats why I am weighing up my options with testing the waters with a slighly ven snake and see if I care enough for long enough to follow this up with more species - or if its just a passing phase. I'm a little impulsive, I know this, so I am trying to manage it hahaha :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back