Looking into water pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Hey y'all, not sure if I'm in the right thread, correct me if so.
I'm looking to take the next step in reptile keeping have had turtles in a large aquarium for years am now I'm interested in a water python just can't find much info on then like what licence class I need and such for NSW. What would be a minimum tank size for a juvenile would a 4 ft suit for a while, and wanted to build a turtle style tank half water half land.
any info or shove in the right direction would be great thanks.

Hey y'all, not sure if I'm in the right thread, correct me if so.
I'm looking to take the next step in reptile keeping have had turtles in a large aquarium for years am now I'm interested in a water python just can't find much info on then like what licence class I need and such for NSW. What would be a minimum tank size for a juvenile would a 4 ft suit for a while, and wanted to build a turtle style tank half water half land.
any info or shove in the right direction would be great thanks.

Um yeah I have kept a few water pythons and still have allot...To be honest maybe the water python name isn't best suited i mean they like to swim but they are mostly a land animal...The worst thing about the idea is when young they will strike at everything and try to eat anything, I am by no means an expert but I would be keeping them on their own until well when after a few years they don't try and bite me anymore they become more accustomed to humans. Maybe slowly if you introduce them to turtles and feed them just on rats which I do they will learn the difference. To be honest I would like to know what others think but maybe a carpet is better, I like the idea but the temperament of a water python could lead to horrid mistakes. keen to hear if anyone else has tried it....But water pythons still are wonderful snakes and I love them.

Yeah sorry I didn't mean the snake would be in with the turtles but just a similar enclosure type as I have a spare 4 foot tank and get pretty creative I like so research their natural habitat and try and re create it. And being bitten isn't so bad I think it's all part of the love for the hobby.

From what I hear, possibly not the ideal first snake. A friend of mine has one and it definitely seems like more of a handful than his stimmie, carpet and darwin. But he's very experienced and takes pride in the fact of how well it now handles compared to when he first got it.
Long story short, if you're up for the challenge as Longqi says above, they will be fine. But perhaps a little more attitude than some of the other 'go-to' first pythons

As longqi says, they're very good and beautiful captives, but very enthusiastic about food and they have an explosive feeding response. But the management is the same as any python - they don't need extra water, and in fact they may suffer some health issues if you keep them in damp conditions, like any other python. Many pythons frequent swamps and water, especially the large and heavy tropical giants, but they will all suffer the same ailments if forced to live in continually damp circumstances. Just as it's mistaken to think that GTPs need to be dripping with water all day every day just because they live in the wet and humid tropics.

Jamie.

Water Pythons have a bad reputation of being aggressive, but these are normally only the NT species. Qld Waters are normally the complete opposite and rarely, if ever are aggressive. Just look for someone selling genuine QLD Waters and you wont go wrong.

It's a mixed bag.

I got a female, and she was a gem.

Got a male recently, and he loves the taste of blood, prefarebly my blood.

They're a lovely snake, I got my girl when she was a hatchie (not sure of her exact age). She used to have a go at me when I was getting her of of the tank to clean it but now that's she a bit bigger she doesn't do it anymore. She's a bit flighty when I first get her out but after that she settles down and will find a comfortable spot on me and sit still there.

If you go for a younger one it'll probably be snappy, a lot of hatchies are, otherwise go for one a couple of years old that has an established temperament. They're a great snake to have :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back