Looking to buy a book, any recommendations?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razeunit

Reaction score
Hi guys :)

I'm looking to buy a book to help me learn fast on best caring for my jungle python, which includes a list of things too look for if she is sick and also breeding as I would probably like to give it a shot down the track. I have found two on ebay which sounds like it would be perfect but would love to hear from the more experienced.

NEW Keeping Carpet Pythons Reptile Book GREAT DEAL - eBay Other Supplies, Reptiles, Pet Supplies, Home. (end time 26-May-10 18:10:08 AEST)

I think this one may be a little better but not sure :)

Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons - eBay Other Supplies, Reptiles, Pet Supplies, Home. (end time 31-May-10 23:33:19 AEST)

Thanks guys :lol:

Both excellent books :)

I have the first one (got mine off ebay as well), the second one is on my list.

I have the first one, all the information in it is on this site. I didn't really find it helpful.

If you you already have the reptile australia vol 2 isusse 3 and 4 and you want keeping and breeding australian python for the rough scale python Its the exact same information word for word. Good book thou.

Also Pythons of the World vol 1 by the Barkers. Some of the info pertaining to breeding ages and weights is a little conservative, however great info on cycling, egg and hatchling weights though.

They are very hard to find these days but I have a friend who worked at the Barkers and has a few copies available, if anyone is interested send me a pm.

That first one has no more information than you'll get from here. Maybe good to keep for handy quick reference though.

Hi guys :) I'm looking to buy a book to help me learn fast on best caring for my jungle python, I have found two on ebay which sounds like it would be perfect but would love to hear from the more experienced.
I think this one may be a little better but not sure :)
Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons - eBay Other Supplies, Reptiles, Pet Supplies, Home. (end time 31-May-10 23:33:19 AEST)

Thanks guys :lol:

The 2nd one (a great book) can be bought at a cheaper price from Brian Barnett of The HerpShop. He has them advertised at $50 a copy![SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

I would get both of those
the first one is more about general stuff
the second one is really detailed and there are some great stories in it about how some of the species came to be kept in captivity
You will enjoy both
Elizabeth

Much better to support your Australian Herp suppliers like The Herp Shop and URS - they've been serving the hobby/industry very well for decades. Forget Ebay for these sorts of things...

Jamie.

I would go the second book. They're both great though. I would also buy it at a local shop as it will probably be cheaper than the ebay price. Should be 50 bucks at pet shops that sell reptile gear.

keeping and breeding australian pythons is an awesome book it tells u exactly what the title suggests but in great detail

I recommend Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons and What's Wrong with my Snake (only $19). Simon Stone's articles on the SXR website are also excellent. He gives a great deal of detail and has the experience to back it up. You are doing well to get some good background reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey mate i got ur reply to my gecko thread think im goign to go keeping and breeding australian lizards. i love mike swans keeping and breeding australian pythons it gives u so much info on australian pythons so ull get a good read out of the jungle section plus all the others its a great book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back