Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangles

Reaction score
I have a 12 month old Stimsons Python that I have had since December which escaped overnight.

It was being housed in a wooden enclosure with a glass front and a lockable top opening door. Over the past few weeks, most mornings he has been on the ledge under the door at the top of the tank, as it appears the wood has warped slightly and it makes a tight fit for him which they like. The fact that he has been doing this for about the last 10 days, made be believe that their was no gap he could get through, because he would have done so by now.

I was wrong, because he was gone this morning, and despite a search all around the area, he could not be found.

I have read some other tips about trying to locate, such as putting towels under doors to keep them in the same room, but this could be too late. Also putting powder or flour on the floor to look for tracks, and leave food and his normal hides out around the area. I will also leave the heat on in case he comes back to the heat, and keep checking when it is dark with a torch.

Although technically I own this python it was actually a Christmas present for my 15 y/o daughter and 11 y/o son and it was their first snake. Whilst we have since purchased another two coastals, this snake means a lot to us.

Any other tips to help us find this snake would be appreciated.

:-( I've had escapees a few times now. I guess the first thing is to make sure that any gaps under exterior doors are blocked. Other than that, look under the TV or stereo components (no joke! It's warm under there, and it's surprising what a small gap they can fit through!) on top of the hot water service, etc. Don't give up too soon. I once had an escapee missing for 5 days and it turned up - behind the computer. Good luck.

i dont have any tips for you mangles as i found my escapees within an hour very close to their enclosures, but i do feel for you. Good luck and i hope he turns up real soon for you :)

Thanks,

We will not be giving up.

Have checked all the abvious hot spots nearby such as TV, Video (even lookied inside) computer. Unfortunately it is in an open romm that goes into the kitchen, which cannot be blocked off. Checked under the freezer, fridge and dishwasher also.

Hi Mangles,
I have found escapees 6 months after they have escaped. Don't ever give up!!!

i found one day that one of my baby bredls escaped, so i got some heat cord in the middle of the room, left a pinky there in the middle, and left the room for a few hours, returned to find the little fella with a big gut and on the heat source, i was very lucky, may workfor you may not, good luck anyway

Remember that stimmies can fit in the most tight of places so even if you think na wouldnt be there LOOK! i have had my childreni escape twice and found them both times behind a wallpaper on my fish tank and in a cd stacker!

Good luck

Make sure you check inside books/newspaper lying around. Had a maccies get out of its enclosure, and after 2 people went through the pile of books and newspapers next to the lounge, I found it curled up quite happily in a Kermit the Frog book, (kids popup book). Good luck.

you can put a mouse in a small container, leave it down low hopfully he will come to the food. This has worked for me with a young childrens python. Good luck

Look in every possible place you think the little fella could get, and then look some more.
ps look in the potted plants they seem to like them

Tried all of those places and more, then my wife went into a drawer under a computer table to get a pen out, and there he was sitting on top. We had probably been through the set of drwaers three or four times before looking for him, so I don't know if he was there all the time or had been moving around.

I let him loose in the enclosure that night, and he went striaght back to the gap where the wood had warped slightly and watched him squeeze through a tiny gap. I have now closed all the gaps (I think) , because I watched him trying for another hour before he gave up, and he was still in his enclosure this morning.

When we had a little escapee we turned the heat up high in the house during the night with all the lights out and walked around with a torch, we found him along the wall coming out from the computer area.

:D its amazing how many times they are found

Good job!! I have a diamond that used to love escaping. Every time i found where he got out and fixed it he would do laps of his enclosure til he found another way. Lucky he is a bit bigger now. I found him in a fishing magazine, in my cricket bag and even in a model car. They are pretty clever!!!!!

Certainly is.

We can now move around the house not watching were we step or sit, and can throw rubbish out without having to search through it first.

Great news...must be relieved.... sounds pretty smart (not to mention persistant) too - cheeky litle bugger....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back